Monday, June 21, 2010

It's My Birthday!

So I'm going to spend it celebrating with my family and friends. But soon I will tell you about the Wasatch Back because it was AWESOME! Here is a quick summary:

THE GOOD: my team had synergy. We supported each other, we laughed with each other we fell into some fun inside jokes together. I could not have made it through without them. I later learned one teammate described it as all worth it because he got to fall in love with 11 new people. While I already knew and loved a couple of my teammates, I couldn't agree more. I especially loved running it with my sister - she took extra good care of me when I needed it. And believe me, I needed it.

THE BAD: my allergies turned to some sort of black lung cough of death full of phlegm so the altitude went from challenging to dauntingly impossible - or so I thought when I could barely suck in enough air to walk, let alone run. My second leg was especially heinous with its never-ending altitude climb. But I did it. All of it. I just wanted to die somewhere in the middle is all.

THE UGLY: the finish. The whole thing ended at The Canyons resort and they focused so much on the lame party with their vendors at the top that they forgot to take care of the runners. It was a scramble to make it to the finish line to meet my sister and she was in bad shape after fighting pedestrian and car traffic for her final 1/2 mile. I later learned many teams missed their last runner and weren't able to cross the finish line together. That was followed by a nightmare snarl of traffic fighting to get out of the parking lot. It was a terrible way to end what was otherwise an awesome experience.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Woo hoo! Way to go, and happy birthday!

Krista said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Cool. And I was in PC, but managed to miss the traffic/people.

Omgirl said...

Wow. I am SERIOUSLY impressed about you running the Wasatch Back. I have had a few friends do it the last couple of years, and I will probably never be one of them. I will, instead, watch people like you in awe, from a distance. A LARGE distance.

Related Posts with Thumbnails