Tuesday, April 20, 2010

where I've been

  • moving
  • unpacking
  • organizing
  • cleaning
  • working
  • running
  • packing
  • moving
  • working
  • unpacking
  • organizing
  • working

On April 10th I moved apartments. I only moved up four floors in the same building so I didn't go too far. Here is what the new apartment has to offer that made it all worth it: a better view (roof tops and sky instead of a roof top parking garage), a functioning sprayer thing in my sink, a walk in closet, a clean fridge (didn't realize how gross the old one was), closer proximity to the laundry room and a 10x9 "home office". I only broke one lamp in the process. The home office is the only room that isn't completely organized and functioning properly - ironically because I've had to work from home too much the last two weekends.

I tried to write a couple of posts over the last few weeks but they were dumb and boring and too long and only illustrated that my brain is off on its spring frolic while I'm stuck here with all of the drudgery and none of the words to describe it.

Then over this last weekend my office moved. Now, instead of working in a cockroach infested, dark and dreary office where I hadn't heard a vacuum cleaner in a couple of years (and I'm there a lot), my office looks like those all glass modern offices in movies and on tv. Despite the fish bowl effect, I like it. I especially liked the team of cleaning people who were not afraid to use the vacuum cleaner and windex with extra verve even though we have only been here one day.

Moving meant I was able to "work from home" on Friday which was awesome. Pjs and conference calls in the morning, mid-day run and errands in the afternoon. Did you know that you can return a modem at 3 pm on a Friday and there will be no one else at the cable company? That was awesome. You know what else is awesome? The Container Store. I love that place a little bit too much. Ask my sister, she hates when I call and tell her about whatever cool organizing thing I have found there. I can hear her rolling her eyes over the phone even before she interrupts my description of the belt hangar or whatever with an exasperated "yeah, yeah, you love that place."

Saturday was a ridiculous day of organizing that involved far too much of a mess before any semblence of order could be attained. And no, I could not just be satisfied with the placement of the rug in my bedroom, I had to draw on all my resources and independence and find that freakish amount of strength I have always been able to tap when it comes to rearranging my bedroom to shift and push and tilt furniture until the rug was in just the right spot.

And on Sunday my "work from home" freebie Friday was stolen away from me by an actual working from home with testy internet/work network connection Sunday until the wee hours of the morning. And here I am on Monday working into those same wee hours. Or, trying to find a way to tap hidden depths of resources that will allow me to push past my sleepy brain and finish this brief off so I can have any hope of sleeping tonight.

On the plus side, I managed to go out not once but twice this weekend with friends and on Sunday I ran for an hour. One whole hour! I ran all the way to Battery Park (down by the Statue of Liberty) which is nearly 6 miles. Aside from the Container Store and dinner with friends, that run was the highlight of my weekend. Oh, and the super buttery, flaky croissant I bought as a treat afterwards.

How about you? Where have you been and what have you been up to? I've missed you!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I've been waiting patiently for pictures of your new place(s). Am I going to have to come up there and see them for myself???

Glad you got a few work-from-home treats.

p.s. I like your new header.

Suz said...

Way to go on the run. I'm pretty sure I would love the container store too. I love organizing.

autumn said...

I've been doing absolutely nothing, but I do find that I also become freakishly strong when things bother me. Normally, I can't lift my giant sofa, but the other day it got on my nerves...and ten minutes later it was on the other side of the room.

DeAnn said...

I respect your "Container Store" love. I discovered it on vacation in Oregon. When I went on vacation to California with a friend I made her go there and had my picture taken in front of it. I'm a geek.

Artax said...

I will be moving offices next week. Maybe I should find a Container Store to help me get organized. Good idea. Welcome back.

Blogger said...

Just received a check for $500.

Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can earn taking paid surveys online...

So I took a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for paid surveys.

Related Posts with Thumbnails