Thursday, March 04, 2010

a preliminary update


  • Yes, just 2 days ago I was lying in that hammock overlooking the ocean
  • It was hot and humid with lots of mosquitos
  • I loved it anyway
  • I got home in the early evening last night and I'm back at work today
  • I have a lot of work to do but I don't mind too terribly since I only have a 2 day work week
  • I'm coping by cranking up my space heater under my desk and eating chocolate I bought in Panama City my last night there
  • It was really difficult to find chocolate in the grocery store that wasn't from the States or Europe. I found that strange.
  • I always like bringing local treats home from places I visit to ease my way back into my regular life
  • I also like buying a coffee table book and maybe a pretty magnet for my fridge as mementos
  • Unfortunately Tocumen Airport thinks their visitors are only interested in duty-free liquor, perfume and expensive ties, I couldn't find a single souvenir shop in the entire airport
  • And not just because I arrived at 530 am - there just weren't souvenir shops anywhere to be found, opened or closed
  • I had to get up at 4 am yesterday to check out of my hotel at 445 am to catch the free shuttle to the airport at 5 am
  • The hotel advised us this was the best option
  • I was skeptical but did it anyway not wanting to chance anything
  • Of course we arrived at the airport extremely early - our flight was at 820 am
  • The $25 taxi ride (split with my travel buddy) would have been worth the extra hour of sleep
  • Especially since we didn't get to bed until after 130 am
  • Last night I fell asleep on my couch after eating Thai delivery around 8 pm
  • I woke up at 10 and went to bed without showering even though my last shower was more than 24 hours earlier
  • The concept of "clean" can be very relative - I was not sweaty and I didn't have any bug spray or sunscreen on so I didn't feel dirty
  • Besides, I shaved my legs for the first time in over a week during that last shower in Panama City - I felt clean
  • Despite my prolific use of bug spray I came home with tons of bug bites
  • Many of them were really flared up this morning for some reason
  • The red welts kind of destroy the look of my tan
  • Not that anyone can tell since I'm all covered up in long sleeves and long pants
  • But I was told on the elevator this morning that I look tanned and relaxed
  • And I feel it too
  • I have many, many stories to share about my exciting Panamanian adventures
  • And lots of photos too
  • Except last night my laptop refused to download them and I was too tired to figure out the problem
  • As a hint of things to come I will tell you I have stories of snorkeling with barricuda, surfing, monkeys, sharks, an abandoned prison, moon rises and sunsets and a what it's like to live on a deserted island for 6 days - just to name a few
  • And by the way, this will be my last post hidden behind the iron curtain of password protected private blogging
  • Yes, this means I did not get the job I was chasing but I'm not disappointed
  • At this point I'm just happy to have it all decided

3 comments:

lemoniepants said...

sorry you are back from vacation, you deserve long ones. and sorry about your job!

you need a chocolate chip cookie.

michele said...

welcome back! can't wait to hear of your adventures. sorry about the job.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back from behind the private (iron?) curtain!

Related Posts with Thumbnails