Friday, January 15, 2010

odds and ends

  • woke up this morning wondering why I neglected to open two emails from my brother last night.
  • After I showered I checked my blackberry and realized I must have dreamed about the ignored emails. Dullest dream ever.
  • my sister called this morning and I was convinced she said "I like chicken"
  • turns out she was telling me "I'm checking in"
  • we're both flying to Chicago tomorrow to meet our cutest ever nephew for the first time
  • I'm excited about the trip because these are the family members I didn't get to see over Christmas
  • not terribly excited about Chicago weather which is slated to "warm up" to the bitter 30/feels like teens weather NY just shoved aside for 40s (which feels spring-like!)
  • just heard someone snapping open a can of something and my mouth watered for a Diet Dr Pepper
  • I think that means I'm an addict
  • I finally broke down and ordered a giant pilates ball for my office
  • sitting in my stupid office chair for 8-12 hours in a day is not comfortable
  • sometimes I am convinced my chair gives me bruises - like bed sores, only from a chair
  • I haven't inflated the ball yet, it is sitting in the Amazon box it came in
  • I went to Delaware twice this week
  • the train is convenient but there are always weird things going on
  • for example, Wednesday night a mostly normal looking mid 20-something guy across the aisle and a row in front of me was reading a hard bound comic book but that isn't the weird thing. He leaned over and removed his argyle socks, put his shoes back on, then rustled around in the overhead compartment, sat down and put on a different pair of wool socks.
  • the train was not cold or drafty and his original socks looked perfectly fine.
  • last night the man next to me did not even attempt to hide the fact that he was staring at my laptop screen.
  • did I mention I'm going to Chicago tomorrow? I'm pretty excited about it.
  • I haven't been to Chicago since 1998
  • someone else just cracked open a can! Now I really, really want a beverage other than this water next to me.
  • On the train ride home Wednesday I read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  • it is so beautifully written and I hope it isn't too trite to say inspirational - it is the memoir of a man who suffered a stroke that left him completely paralyzed but for his left eye. His brain remained completely functional so he suffered from something called "locked-in syndrome." He blinked dictation to write the memoir. Fascinating process and his writing is incredible.
  • I just booked a trip to Panama in February!
  • I'm going with someone I met on my rafting trip in September
  • we'll be learning how to surf and doing yoga for part of the time and then sea kayaking
  • and that is everything I know about the trip, I'm ceding all control and basically showing up in Panama City on February 20th to be led around by others
  • I've also agreed to go snowboarding in Vermont in February
  • I'm afraid of the ice.
  • I think my break time is about done and I need to get back to work, I just wanted to let you know I'm still around.
  • Oh, and I may not be private much longer.
  • Rumor is that thing I was trying to do with my career, well, it probably won't be working out in my favor.
  • At this point, I'm kind of happy about that because I don't think I'm ready to leave NYC
  • Also, I don't like private blogging for some reason
  • But thanks for sticking with me!
  • ARGH! Someone else just opened a can!
  • I'm off for the vending machine for a Coke Zero.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I really, really loved this post. And I agree with you about sitting in a chair all day. I swear it gives me bed sores!

Your upcoming trips sound amazing, as usual! Can't wait to live vicariously. (Plus, I'm anxious to get a Utahn's opinion of Vermont snow.)

And I'm sorry for being selfishly excited that the other prospect might not work out.

Jen said...

Ugh - I have had a busy week (too much time in the office chair) and I can totally relate! My rear end is tired of sitting.

Also, Coke Zero is an excellent choice.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michele said...

jealous about your trip. i've always wanted to learn to surf.

mmm coke zero

Tim and Jill said...

Great post. I am still cracking up about "I like chicken." Funny!!

mickey said...

i think a diet dr. pepper with lime sounds really good and it's only 8:24am. how are you alyssa? i've been absent from the blog world for almost a year. i miss your posts, they give me such an insight into you and your world. i miss you.

p.s. i walked around in the vermont snow while on my mission, i hope you like skining in it. i too like tiff will live vicariously thru you.

oh and i have some new posts if you're bored. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails