Saturday, November 07, 2009

Pumpkin Waffles!

About a month ago I made some pumpkin waffles from a recipe someone had recommended on their blog. And I hate to say it, but I was a little disappointed. It wasn't that they were bad or even that they weren't good. They were tasty enough. But I knew they were capable of more. So this morning I decided to experiment a bit by merging the Basic Waffle Recipe from the New York Times Cookbook (my copy is actually the 1961 edition) with Martha Stewart's pumpkin pancakes (which are delicious, by the way!).

And before you jump in, let me warn you: this is an involved recipe that requires a lot more dishes than the "Basic" name might imply. But rest assured, the end result is worth the extra effort. For a complete listing of the ingredients, see the bottom of the post.

In this first step, the key change to the ingredients will be these spices:

Start by combining the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.

Sift 2 cups flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder, a little less than 1 teaspoon salt, close to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground ginger,  about an 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and a couple of shakes of ground cloves.
Just to make sure your waffles are extra smooth, I recommend measuring them all into a sifter first so you don't end up with any flour lumps in your waffles. The other ingredients can be sifted to fully incorporate them into the flour without the added step of stirring. Plus, you want to do as little mixing as possible once you add the wet ingredients so it is best to get rid of lumps now.

Next, add 2 tablespoons of sugar to the dry ingredients (or do this when sifting, I just forgot).
In two separate bowls (I warned you there are a lot of dishes involved, didn't I?), separate your two eggs. The egg whites should go into a small mixing bowl that is big enough to beat them in later. The yolks can be in a smaller bowl but still needs to be big enough to accommodate the other wet ingredients.

Beat the egg yolks and then add 1 cup of milk and 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Oh, and this is the best part! Add in about 6 tablespoons of pumpkin puree. Just a word of caution here - pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling are not the same thing so don't mix those up. I used a bit more than 6 tablespoons because that is what I had left over from my pumpkin chocolate chip cookies last week. Can't waste any pumpkin these days since there is supposedly a pumpkin shortage. Or, at least that is what I hear. But I haven't had any problem getting it so far this season.

After combining all the wet ingredients, you can pour it into the flour mixture and stir it just enough to moisten the dry ingredients.

Your mixture should be looking pretty good but we have one more step remaining. Remember those egg whites you set aside earlier? Grab those, because now you need to beat them until they are stiff, but not dry. You can do this by hand, but this is a lazy Saturday morning so I suggest pulling out the hand mixer and saving the exercise for later. Use the whisk beaters if you have them.

After you have some nice stiff peaks, gently fold the egg whites into your batter. They should slide right out of the bowl. This is the part where it is really important not to start vigorously stirring because that will ruin all the lightness you have worked so hard to get with those egg whites. I use a wooden spoon to fold the egg whites in slowly by sliding it around the outer edge to scoop up from the bottom and fold it over the top (does that make sense?). It takes a number of spins around the bowl to fully work in the egg whites.

The purpose here is to get light and fluffy waffles. If you have the time and patience you can let this sit for a while because I believe that adds to the lightness. But, uh, I was ready for waffles so I went straight to the cooking stage.

Don't forget the maple syrup - real maple syrup is the best way to go here (in my opinion).

And can I toot my own horn and call them a success? So much so that I ate two? The recipe made six waffles, so what to do with the leftovers . . . freeze them of course! That way, on Monday morning I can pop one into the toaster, top it with Greek yogurt and I have a delicious weekday breakfast. Don't believe me on the Greek yogurt thing? Seriously, it is creamy and delicious and addicting and I put it on everything - oatmeal, fruit, waffles, sweet potatoes. Yeah, I'm addicted. I guess you can try syrup in the middle of the week as well but I save that for a weekend treat.


Pumpkin Waffles
2 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
dash (or 2) ground cloves
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons melted butter

8 comments:

Erin said...

I think I have made one (1) waffle that wasn't frozen.

I know I have made zero (0) waffles that were not frozen and did not come from an instant mix.

lemoniepants said...

will you make me some. and use the star trek fancy glitter to transport it here.

Candi said...

I am going to try these. I have a fancy shmancy waffle iron and I have been looking for the perfect Waffle recipe. This just might be it.

Kelly said...

I keep hearing about the greek yogurt. I just haven't pulled they trigger on buying some yet.

Tiffany said...

Those look amazing. I have had your pumpkin pancakes, so I can only imagine these. I'm drooling.

Customer Support said...

I adore pumpkin waffles. With a homemade buttermilk syrup -- you'd like the plate.

Tim and Jill said...

These look delicious! They are a pumpkin-lover's dream come true. This may sound CrAzY but adding one or two scoops of good-quality vanilla ice-cream along with the maple syrup may just take it to a whole new level!

michele said...

dan likes the plain yogurt, i like the yogurt with syrup. i still haven't aquired the straight plain yogurt taste. looks tasty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails