Sunday, November 08, 2009

Keep the Party Going . . .

Thanks for such a great turn out for day 1 of my weekend blog warming open house. I hope you all realize that every comment you make is an entry for the raffle. That's right. At some point Sunday I'll select a lucky winner for a prize. I'm not quite sure what the prize will be yet. If I could figure out a good way to ship cupcakes, I'd give those away but since that isn't really practical I'll have to come up with something else.

If you pay any attention to the time stamp, you will note that it is very late in NYC right now. I had a great night - watched the Utes beat New Mexico with my alumni group and then met up with a friend visiting from out of town. Overall, a great Saturday night. Funny thing. As I rode the subway down to the bar where we were watching the game in the Village, this thought crossed my mind "I feel like a real New Yorker right now." You see, sometimes I get caught up in my tiny little version of New York life that rarely strays beyond the 50s where I live and work that I forget about other aspects of this City. Well, I don't really forget, I just feel detached from the rest of it. Riding the subway is a necessity for the vast majority of the people with whom I share this island. But I'm lucky enough to be within walking distance so riding the subway turns into a sort of novelty. You are thrust so much more into the city waiting on a subway platform, riding in a packed subway car and wandering through a not quite as familiar neighborhood. I had this odd wave of love for this place wash over me with a good helping of gratitude for the opportunity I have had to live here. New York is such a hard place to live sometimes, I treasure these moments of appreciation because they remind me of why I stay - despite the extreme downsides that can get me down sometimes (uh, small apartment for extremely high rent and excessive crowds are the negatives, in case you were wondering).

But I'm rambling. I blame the late hour. So why am I blogging right now? To remind you to comment for the raffle. Oh, and to give you a little hint at what you might see when you drop by to visit: my most embarrasing moment. In video format. Barring any technological meltdowns that prevent me from putting it together of course. So cross your fingers and wish me luck and don't forget to drop by because you will not regret it. I mean, how often are our most embarrasing moments captured on film? Luckily mine was long enough ago I can laugh at it now without cringing. Okay, I still cringe but I can laugh too. See you then!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

i love embarassing moments!

lemoniepants said...

lemme know if you need video help.
i love vimeo.com

Mary said...

I read an article about some study this week looking into why we cringe when thinking over some memories. It was something about how it can be akin to PTSD. But that's only for the very bad, very embarassing moments. 8th grade gym class and such.

Tiffany said...

Love the new header!

Artax said...

Last week, riding the subway, I felt like a New Yorker, too. Well, not exactly, but I was proud that I knew what I was doing this time around....

Related Posts with Thumbnails