Monday, September 14, 2009

100 Things to Accomplish

Since it has been almost two years since I made my 100 Things list, I thought it might be a good time to check in and see if I've made any progress. Anything I've managed to check off I have put in italics.

  1. get married
  2. experience pregnancy and child birth
  3. watch the sun rise over the ruins at Machu Picchu - while technically it may have been a little too cloudy to see the sunrise, I say it counts because we were there and it was AMAZING!
  4. climb Mount Kilamanjaro
  5. be recognized for something I wasn't expecting would be noticed
  6. experience an African safari
  7. learn and memorize a piano concerto - either Rachmaninoff or Chopin, or perhaps Brahms
  8. learn how to play the organ
  9. live in a place I own (I now own a house so I can't use that one but I would like to live in a place I own)
  10. take my parents to an all-inclusive tropical resort
  11. learn to speak Spanish
  12. visit Finland to discover where my ancestors and last name came from
  13. have someone call me mommy
  14. become a certified yoga instructor
  15. go to the World Series
  16. write a memoir - this sort of counts as a start, right? Although I'm not anywhere close to finished so I guess I shouldn't tick this off quite yet.
  17. have my blog comments reach double-digits - it is rare, but it happens, thank you!
  18. perhaps on a regular basis
  19. fly over over Manhattan in a helicopter
  20. hike (or ride a mule) to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
  21. have a picnic on the Great Wall of China
  22. win (or perhaps just enter) a baking contest (any baking contest, doesn't have to be on the Food Network or anything, although that would be very cool)
  23. teach a class at a university
  24. visit Sweden on summer solstice (my birthday) and spend the day and all night on a sail boat and watch the sun never set
  25. pay off my student loans
  26. have outdoor space that is all mine
  27. learn how to garden in said outdoor space
  28. paint an accent wall in my apartment
  29. see the Utah Jazz win it all
  30. set foot on every continent
  31. own one pair of ridiculously expensive shoes
  32. take a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti
  33. learn how to do tricks on my snowboard, nothing fancy, just something other than pointing my board downhill
  34. fall hopelessly and unconditionally in love permanently
  35. have the person I love fall deeply in love with me permanently
  36. become a dedicated patron of something . . . the arts, opera, maybe an orchestra
  37. volunteer for more projects like Guatemala
  38. volunteer with Habitats for Humanity
  39. learn how to build things
  40. get a dog
  41. see my sister happily married - hooray for this one!
  42. have more patience in all things
  43. buy more original art
  44. be able to recite 3 amazing poems, not sure which ones just yet
  45. distinguish myself in my career
  46. attend an NFL game
  47. have a room in my house called "the library"
  48. learn how to play the guitar
  49. visit Nepal so I can see (not necessarily climb) Mt. Everest
  50. attend a red carpet event looking smashing
  51. take a road trip from Alaska to the southern tip of Baja - or maybe press on and continue all the way to the southern most tip of Chile (which is the end of South America, right?)
  52. own a secluded cabin in either the Uintas, or near Mack's Inn in Island Park in Idaho.
  53. see an opera at La Scala in Milan
  54. understand my spirituality more completely
  55. make a pilgrimage to the Holy Land
  56. float in the Dead Sea
  57. enjoy a delectable, romantic dinner at Jean Georges or La Bernardin
  58. kiss someone passionately on the Pont Neuf in Paris
  59. hear live music in Cuba
  60. learn how to salsa dance
  61. read the stories from Arabian Nights to my children in one thousand and one nights
  62. reconnect with a lost friend - thank you Facebook for many reunions
  63. eat sushi at the crack of dawn in Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo - unfortunately I was a sushi novice when I went to Tokyo and missed this
  64. sky dive out of a plane
  65. attend the summer Olympics (the winter ones were great!)
  66. swim with dolphins
  67. eat gyros from a street stand in Turkey
  68. learn how to take a compliment
  69. be better at giving compliments
  70. with all my lofty travel plans perhaps I should just buy a round the world air ticket (I've heard they exist) and run away for a year
  71. ride a camel in Egypt and see the pyramids
  72. ride the Trans-Siberian Express across Asia
  73. sit on a jury (really)
  74. for that matter, conduct a trial (not necessarily with a jury because that isn't really my field)
  75. visit Walden Pond and read Thoreau while drifting in a canoe
  76. stand under a waterfall in Hawaii
  77. and perhaps overcome my fear of jumping off cliffs into water and jump into a pool at the bottom of a waterfall in Hawaii
  78. rent a houseboat on Lake Powell with my whole family
  79. learn more constellations (you know, other than the big and little dipper and Orion)
  80. be kissed at midnight on New Year's Eve
  81. ask someone I've only just met to go on a date (scary!)
  82. accept myself for who I am
  83. focus on healthy eating and working out long enough to get my body in the kind of shape I know it is capable of - this is more ongoing but I feel I've made a significant amount of progress here!
  84. accept myself even if I don't - somehow I think I'm better at this now, at least that is how I feel today
  85. recognize that my greatest weaknesses are often my greatest strengths
  86. ride an elephant in Thailand
  87. drive a zambonie
  88. experience a full high tea in London
  89. visit all 58 National Parks in the United States, I think I've been to 11 so far
  90. visit the ruins of Pompeii
  91. save and invest for my future - while the recession is definitely making this harder, I'm still plugging along doing my part
  92. watch the Iditarod under the Northern Lights
  93. learn how to fly fish
  94. listen to the Dalai Lama speak
  95. eat real jerk barbecue from a roadside jerk hut in Jamaica
  96. try the candy at Papabubble
  97. spend the night in the penthouse of a super fancy, over the top New York hotel with someone fun who will order room service with me, enjoy the view and giggle about how spectacular and decadent the whole experience is
  98. receive flowers from a secret admirer (but not a stalker)
  99. give a needy family Christmas anonymously
  100. how do I put this one . . . really enjoy a much anticipated honeymoon, if you know what I mean, a long honeymoon where I don't see many sights . . . I think you catch my drift.

Wow, looks like I haven't made too much progress in the last couple of years. I should have thrown a few more concrete items on there like Read War & Peace which I have some control over. Too many seem centered around traveling or getting married/having kids. Oh, well. I guess that means if that ever happens I will get to check off a lot all at once. For now, I've got some travel arrangements to make.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love your list--it's ambitious and exciting, just like you! I have no doubt you'll accomplish it all!

KimcheeMandoo said...

I'm accompanying you on some of these! I think you may have to put the Dead Sea on the top of your list -- I just read that it is shrinking!!

Artax said...

Great list. Makes me want to write my own.

Anonymous said...

I am recognizing you for something you weren't expecting... Hero - for being so determined to get that package to Parker in Peru!

heidi b

Blogger said...

Rocket Spanish: The Award Winning Product That Gets You Speaking Spanish & Loving the Spanish Culture.

(And the best thing is - it only takes minutes a day)

ROCKET LANGUAGES was used by over 1,200,000 people, like you, to study a new language.

Related Posts with Thumbnails