Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Winners! and more fun with books

Sorry for holding a contest and then running off without announcing any winners. You see, Thursday night I had to pack. And I had to watch Project Runway. Yes, I had to, it was the premier! And they had that extra all star thing beforehand and then the short little show about the models afterwards. Plus I was packing for an extended weekend. And just so you know, packing and watching tv together are not really a recipe for light packing. Even if all you really need are a couple of swimming suits and a coverup you will still end up with a full roller suitcase that is almost as jammed as it was for a trip to an Indian wedding across the country that required far more outfits.

But you don't care about that, you want to know who the winners are, right? I decided to try out random.org since that is what the cool bloggers tend to do (rather than asking random passers by to pick a number between 1 and 20 or drawing names out of a hat). If I was one of those gifted bloggers I would insert a screen shot right here of the first number that was generated totally randomly:

But I'm not that talented so here it is in plain old bold type: 16. Which is Jen! Jen, you have won a copy of My Life in France by Julia Child.

The second winner was also chosen at random by that random.org site and seriously, the random number it spit out was 17. Yup, the number directly after the first random number. Go figure. Anyway, the second winner is KamilahNYC! Kamilah, you have won a copy of Julie & Julia.

Both of you, please send me your address at soulfusion10019 @ gmail.com to claim your prize.

And as for the rest of you, thanks for all of your comments. Looks like I have some reading to do, but before I get to what I want to read, let me respond to some of your suggestions.

Alison - I loved Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri - I also really loved The Namesake and Interpreter of Maladies. Lahiri is an excellent short story teller and manages to give beautiful and relatable snapshots of her culture that are both intriguingly new and different and yet perfectly relatable at the same time.

One of a dozen - Thanks for de-lurking! When you left your comment I was in the middle of reading The Time Traveler's Wife. It was intriguing and definitely a page turner but by the end I felt it had dragged on a bit for me. I'm pretty romantic but I started to feel it was a bit over the edge for me. But still a fun summer read.

Sorry Lizzie, I won't be reading that any time soon . . . .

Rachel - I see Something Borrowed in the airport bookstores all the time. I'm pretty sure it is only a matter of time before I cave and pick it up. What did you think of it? Do you recommend it?

Suz - would love to join your cooking club if only I was closer! I'm intrigued by Hunger Games, thansk for the suggestion.

Jackie Norris - The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite books! Such a riveting story.

Natalie - someone at work was just asking me about The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo last week and then I got your comment! And then I was very close to buying it while I waited for my train Friday afternoon (train stations are apparently similar to airports in making me want to buy new books) but then I remembered I had a brand new book in my bag and a stack of books to read at home. But I think it is only a matter of time before I pick this one up. Thanks for the comment!

KimcheeMandoo - People of the Book looks great, and since I've loved all your recommendations in the past, it is now on my list.

The rest of you, thanks for playing and thank you for all of your great suggestions! I will let you know if (when) I get to them.

Before I go, let me tell you about one more book I just read - Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. This was the third book I picked up a week ago when I ran into Border's to pick up one book (I've now completed all three, I'm on a roll!). I was on the phone when I saw it. I had never heard of it before. But the cover grabbed me and I bought it. I bought it even though I only half-skimmed the back cover. You see, my heart is still grieving the loss of my dog so pretty much anything involving dogs tugs at me - dogs being walked past me on the sidewalk, segments for homeless dogs on the Today Show, the photo of Malcolm staring at me on my desk and books about dogs. Or, in this case, by a dog. This book had such a unique perspective because it was written from the dog's point of view. The author took such a clever idea and made it so relatable. The dog's voice was funny and heartbreaking and so - human. Which was part of the premise of the book. Enzo, the dog, learned from a National Geographic documentary that in Mongolia they believed that the dogs where were ready were reborn in their next life as humans. Enzo deemed himself ready and tried his best to act human throughout his life. His perspective on his family and the tragedies that befall his owner are poignant and made me think even more of all of the rough times and good times I went through with Malcolm. Of course, like any book about a dog, the ending is sad. But this one was different and made me smile. The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it was not a good beach book. It was heavier and more engrossing than I anticipated so I ended up staying up late Saturday night reading after everyone went to bed so no one would wonder why I was crying at the beach the next day.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I thought it was a decent book. If you don't mind a storyline including people cheating on their fiance mingled with choice swear words, it is extremely well written in my mind. I didn't recommend it to my Mom, but I did recommend it to my girlfriends.

alison said...

I finally read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last week. For the first 100 pages, I was like "what's the big deal" - and then, 3 days later, I finished the book. It was great! I definitely recommend it.

KamilahNYC said...

Hooray, hooray I love to win!!!
Thank you so much. I'll email you right away! Can't wait!
woo hoo!
totally made my day.
I'm a winner!!!!!
:)

critts said...

Hey I just saw Julie & Julia on Friday. Have you seen it and if so how does it compare to the book?

Jen said...

I'm a winner! Woohoo! Thanks, random.org! And you too, Soul Fusion!

Emily said...

The inevitable sad endings are why I refuse to read dog books. My poor heart just can't take it!

hovergirl said...

You must must must read Zadie Smith. White Teeth, then The Autograph Man, then On Beauty. A rare, shimmering talent. Young and wise. I have read each of them at least 4 times. But I am like that.

aileen said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://dclottery.info

Related Posts with Thumbnails