Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bachelorette Party

From Drop Box

Before Saturday night I thought I had attended some fun bachelorette parties - even some a little bit wild and crazy bachelorette parties. But no one knows how to end their single days like my dear friend Ruby. I should have known.

We started the evening off with dinner at Buddakhan in the fancy Meat Packing district - which is generally entirely too cool for me. Luckily I went with people who looked like they belong there. A group of gorgeous girls who knew how to rock 4 and even 5 inch heels!!! And everyone survived the looooong walk on the highly waxed floor past the long table of men without falling despite the fact it felt like walking on an ice rink. In heels. Each step caused your heel to fish tail a bit which required you to adapt a tip-toe ridiculous walk to and from the bathroom. I was happy to hear I wasn't the only one with this struggle.

After an incredibly delicious family style dinner of three courses which made me grateful for my billowy shirt (despite the fact I would despise the shirt and its ill-placed billows in all the photos), we braved the drizzly rain to head to location #2: of which I wish I knew the name. All I know is there was a long line, a couple of bouncers and a velvet rope, all of which we bipassed and were ushered straight to our own private table. Well, coffee table and dancing nook. And wow, was I grateful for that nook. The one time we ventured onto the main dance floor, I quickly realized my mistake and retreated back to the nook where the bride-to-be's sister comandeered a bongo which we played with for a while. So much so that later on a couple of us discovered we had a few bruises from our exuberant drumming. One of my bruises is still a little sore.

There were definitely a few times I was ready to go home but managed to push forward and find energy resources I did not realize I had. Until. Well, until the club was closing down. Wow. I think that is something you are supposed to do in your 20s, not your 30s . . .

But those of us who were still around weren't ready to head to bed yet so we caught a cab to a diner and kept the party going. Mostly discovering unnoticed bruises and getting really excited about chocolate milk shakes . . . at 5 in the morning. We watched the sun rise out the window - or at least watched the sky turn from black to blue - and learned about disco fries. Or I should say - DISCO FRIES! That is what happens when you hang out with Canadians all night - they convince you to try french fries covered in cheese and gravy. Yeah, not as exciting and delicious as the Disco Fries name might suggest.

I stumbled into my apartment building in the full light of day at 6 am. It was a very exciting evening but I do not foresee repeating it any time soon.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

1. Buddakahn-Mmmmmm.

2. Your billowy blouse looks great.

3. I'm loving your new Picnik pics. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog so much. I love
how freely you write about your life. I was just wondering when you were going to finish the divorce saga. I check on your blog about once a week, I must admit, I am hooked on finding out how things ended. I know that writing about what happened has been a healing process for you, so I hope this doesn't come across as pushy. I just want to say that you seem to have a fabulous life, congratulations!

michele said...

you're hard core!

Related Posts with Thumbnails