Thursday, June 18, 2009

obsessions I don't get

Holly of Nothing But Bonfires recently did a post called A Partial List Of Things The Rest Of The World Seems To Love And Yet Towards Which I Remain Curiously Lukewarm. It struck a chord with me because there are a number of cultural obsessions that never seem to resonate with me, some of which overlap with Holly and others on which I may stand entirely alone.

You be the judge, here's my list of obsessions, trends and movements I just don't get:
  • Twilight
  • Harry Potter
  • American Idol
  • US Weekly/People/Gossip mags in general
  • Twitter
  • leggings
  • country music
  • the anti-carb craze
  • The Bachelor/Bachelorette
  • Times Square
  • The Lakers
  • tanning/fake baking until you are orange
  • fake boobs
  • fake nails - especially the squared off French manicure ones
  • Crocs
  • online dating
  • Angelina Jolie
  • designer labels - the kind that are scrawled all over the bag such as Louis Vuitton
  • Magnolia Cupcakes
  • Duck Beach (if you are Mormon and single - or have been a single Mormon in the last 5-7 years - you will know what this is)
  • hamburgers
  • that "bumpit" hairstyle
  • the majority of the stupid humor comedies - you know the Will Farrell, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler types (although each has been in a movie I have really liked: Elf, Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Spanglish, respectively)
  • blog followers (I'll take them, I just don't get what I'm supposed to do with them)
  • laying out in public places that aren't beaches - like Central Park
  • gum

I'm quite sure I've left some out so what about you? What trends, obsessions, movements, etc. fail to resonate with you? Feel free to judge me for mine........

7 comments:

Meghan said...

I agree with everything on this list except I do love hamburgers and I do really like Harry Potter. I just went to Magnolia Bakery with some people who really wanted to go and can now say they are extremely overrated. I like my own homemade chocolate buttercream much better! Speaking of cupcakes, I still dream of the day I get to sample your red velvet ones. Oh, and I am not sure what bumpit hairstyles are and what Duck Beach is, which I guess means I can safely say I am not obsessed with either one.

autumn said...

You are so funny. I completely agree with you on Twilight, leggings, fake fingernails, crocs, twitter (no desire what so ever), labels all over everything(why?).

The only things I absolutely love on your list is American Idol and Harry Potter.

Beck said...

Ha! I like:
Harry Potter
American Idol
Twitter
some country music
Angelina Jolie
Hamburgers. Oh, I LOVE those.
All of Will Farrell's movies, except for the basketball one. My husband and I quote lines from Anchorman at each other. And Adam Sandler has been in 2 films I watch obsessively: 50 First Dates and The Wedding Singer.
And gum! Gum is fun.

Tiffany said...

Oh goodness, I love this post! Although, I hope you'll forgive my indulgence in stupid gossip magazines!

critts said...

I love your list! I would have to agree on most except:

- Twilight (embarrassingly enough and I hated the book series until I saw the movie. So sad.)
- country music. LOVE IT and have for about the past 15 years, so half my life.
- US Weekly. Although my interest has been fading of late.

I'm going to add to your list:
- sushi
- any and all social networking site (not just Twitter)
- the iPhone craze. Maybe I'm just not cool enough? But I have no desire to spend that much money on a phone and no plans to spend enough time on a phone to make the data subscription worth the $. Am I the only human on the planet that loathes having a cell phone except for emergencies?

Emily said...

Oooh, good list! Very incisive. I agree with you on all of them, except Harry Potter. I really loved that series. (But, I will say that before I read the books, I thought people were OUT of their minds! Then I read the books and all of that changed.)

michele said...

agreed with all...except i did like reading harry potter and twilight (i hang out with too many teenage girls to have escaped that). oh and i do appreciate a good stupid humor comedy when i'm in the mood. when i did my student teaching in brigham city the bumpit hairstyle was out of control.

Related Posts with Thumbnails