Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Weekend

I had a great Memorial weekend, how about you?
One of the reasons it was so fun is I had some visitors.
Specifically, this little one greeted me first thing Saturday morning:We started the day with a walk and stumbled onto quite the site - a mama red tailed hawk with her babies high up in a tree
the papa bird was near by too (or at least I suspect he was the papa)
Here is the whole crew of visitors since my niece didn't show up on her own: my brother, his wife and her sister (a first time visitor to NYC):
after our long morning walk enjoying the bright sunny weather (despite gloomy forecasts for rain), we went to the Museum of Natural History - one of my favorite places in the City
while there, we saw the butterfly exhibit
then we ate at Shake Shack for lunch
followed several hours later (after naps for everyone) by pizza for dinner
Jason and I spent the evening in trying to root for Denver in an attempt to cheer against the Lakers before giving up and watching a French movie I had on hand - Au Revoir L'Enfant. His wife and her sister hit the town for a Broadway show.
The next day we took things a little easier and played on my roof to take in the view
and I had a chance to cook for house guests -
including baked eggs and bran muffins Saturday morning and oatmeal Sunday morning
and a full sit-down dinner (a rarity in my small apartment) on Sunday afternoon
which was the grand debut for these fun new dishes I recently purchased
what did I cook?
baked asparagus, pork chops, this salad (minus the steak) and mushroom risotto
(which was almost a disaster when I realized I somehow left the arborio rice off my grocery delivery order but google came to the rescue and I learned pearl barley is a good substitute, which I happend to have on hand!) with banana bread with cinnamon whipped cream for dessert. Delicious - if I do say so myself.
My guests departed early Sunday evening and I had Monday to myself. Once again the weather turned out significantly better than predicted and I attended a rooftop bbq in Brooklyn where I pushed my home-baked brownies on unsuspecting strangers and a beyond-inebriated-chest-shaving dude who only managed to button a couple of buttons in the middle of his shirt decided to flirt with me. Despite his intoxicated state, I was flattered and entertained. I finished the weekend with some laundry and the tail end of Au Revoir L'Enfants (which J and I did not finish Saturday night).

I just wish the weekend hadn't flown by so quickly because this morning I crashed hard into reality with lots of work and much cooler temperatures.

5 comments:

VTS said...

Now that is a good weekend! I loved that you topped it off with a rooftop BBQ in NYC. Sounds so cool. Oh, and I'm loving your dishes. I truely am coveting them.

Tiffany said...

I have a crush on your niece, your dishes, your food, and your makeup. You look great!

Kami said...

You are the hostess with the mostess! I too have a crush on your dishes! Darling!

critts said...

Your food posts always make me so hungry - you are a wonderful cook! I wish we lived closer so I could invite myself over for dinner. :)

Beck said...

That sounds like such a fun weekend - such a gorgeous mix of the urban and the domestic!
And what a cute baby!

Related Posts with Thumbnails