Wednesday, May 13, 2009

crockpot steel-cut oatmeal

Interested in a tasty breakfast to entice you with its aroma while still in your bed? I recommend making some crockpot steel-cut oatmeal tonight. It is really simple to make, tastes delicious and it is good for you!
Curious as to what Irish steel-cut oats look like? Here is the can I usually buy of McCann's. I should have taken a quick picture of these full grained oats so you can see the difference from your standard Quaker rolled oats, instead I will point you to this nifty side-by-side comparison I found with the magical powers of google images.

As with many things, I learned how to make this nifty crockpot oatmeal by googling. But sadly, I did not mark the blog(s) where I found the instructions so I can't give proper credit. Sorry if I stole from you!

Essentially, we are going to turn the slow cooker into a double-boiler. Fill the cooker's bowl about 1/4 to 1/3 full of water.

Find a second bowl that fits comfortably inside the slow cooker bowl and place it in the water. The water should come close to the top of the inside bowl but not be close to splashing into the inner bowl.
You can follow the directions for how much water and oats to add that are on the package - mine calls for 4 cups of water. However, I found using the full 4 cups leaves the oatmeal a little mushier than I like so I have lowered the water to about 3 and 1/2 - 3/4 cups of water. Or - and this is a really new modification - I replace 1 cup of the water with skim milk. This is my new favorite.
Add 1 cup of oats to the water (or water/milk).
Then you can get creative by either leaving it plain or adding your mixins - I love blueberries. Seriously, I am obsessed with them!
I just tossed in what I had left in my fridge - frozen would work well too.
For this batch I also happened to have a handful of blackberries, so in they went.
I also always add cinnamon. . .
lots of cinnamon. You can give it a good stir or just leave it be.
Put the lid on top,
Switch the dial to low and go to bed.
The next morning this will be calling you from your bed:
Delicious, no?
Lately I have been pretty good about making this Sunday night and then putting the remaining servings in handy little to-go containers which I can either reheat in the comfort of my own kitchen when I have some morning leisure time. OR grab on my way out the door and eat at my desk at work. For me, the added cinnamon and berries make it unnecessary to add anything else although I do like scooping a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top. If you crave something sweeter you can add some brown sugar or maple syrup the night before.

Enjoy and let me know what you like in your steel-cut oatmeal!

9 comments:

critts said...

Steel cut oatmeal has become a favorite of mine lately. I just make mine in the morning on the stovetop and plain (no-mixins but a little bit of sugar). I've only used water so far but now I'm going to try a little milk too. And thanks for the tip about reheating - I've been wondering if I can save and reheat it.

Tiffany said...

Amazing! It cooks like a custard! I will definitely have to try this. I love the idea of the berries...mmmm!

KamilahNYC said...

yeah, definitey the only thing that gets me up some mornings. sooo good. I put cinnamon, brown sugar and blueberries. perfection!

Soul-Fusion said...

Steph, I should warn you that the consistency is not the same when you re-heat later but I don't mind it.

Kelly said...

I love overnight oatmeal! However, we make ours directly in the crockpot and it works great too (though the separate container might be nice for clean-up purposes).

RJHnrksn said...

Sa-weeeet! Thanks for the recipe! I've found a few and they're all about equal in using a separate container inside or not, so we'll give it a whirl, can't wait!!

Misty Fowler said...

Ugh! I bought "McCann's Steel Cut Oatmeal" and just realized it's "Quick and Easy". Guess I'll take it back.

autumn said...

I'm going to have to try this. It looks delicious.

Julie said...

This past winter, we started making a modified version of Alton Brown's Overnight Oatmeal (you can find it on the Food Network site.) We use cut-up bits of dried apricots, dried blueberries, cherries, cranberries, figs, etc. And when we once set our cooker with a dud timer and it didn't start during the night, we figured out that soaking the oats and dried fruit for a few hours makes an amazing difference. Yum! Now I want some oatmeal even though it's hot in NC :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails