Friday, January 09, 2009

Help the Band and Leave a Comment!

Probably one of my biggest college regrets (aside from getting married and divorced in the middle of it all) is not playing in the marching band at the University of Utah. As a transfer student working close to full time I just didn't have the time and given the other crazyness (ie, marriage and divorce) happening in my life at that time, I didn't prioritize it. But both of my brothers played in the Ute marching band and had really great experiences of which I will always be a little bit jealous. Besides, once a band nerd, always a band nerd and my time as a high school band nerd and Southern Utah Unversity band nerd has given me a life long soft spot for all the band kids.

Which is why I was so excited to hear that the marching band from my very own alma mater has been invited to play at the presidential inaugeration in Washington DC on January 20th. This is an an amazing opportunity for these kids and - like most band and music programs - they need some financial support to accept the invitation. I made a donation but I've decided to try something new I saw on another blog: For every unique comment I receive between now and Sunday night (1/11) at 10 pm EST, I will donate an additional $5. The only rules are (1) only one comment per person is eligible for a donation; (2) in order to be eligible, the comment cannot be anonymous - just leave your name in the comment if you are not a registered blogger; and (3) I reserve the right to cut off my matching if I end up with some crazy high number of comments which I cannot afford. Since I've never done anything like this I am not going to set a maximum, I just reserve the right to cap it if you exceed my budget by shocking me with hundreds of comments.

If you want to donate and give a student a once in a lifetime opportunity - click here.

If you want me to donate and give a student a once in a lifetime opportunity, leave me a comment below.

Thanks!

33 comments:

David said...

They should have the Football team invited to the White House, but I guess having the marching band invited to the inaugeration is something too.

Rachel said...

Thank you for doing this. I am unable to do this myself but I know that they truly deserve to go!

Jessica said...

Sweet! I am a band nerd too. I played in the University of Oklahoma marching band. Yeah I know they didn't win the National Championship - it happens! Anyways throw five bucks in there for me!

Tiffany said...

Band nerds, unite! Great idea!

Misty Fowler said...

You are an awesome person for doing this! I hope that your promotion of this helps them get there, along with your donation!

the Atomic Cupcake said...

You are awesome. Not being in the marching band at the U is one of my life regrets, too!

michele said...

hooray for band nerds! i kinda wish i would have done marching band at the U as well. hey at least we were in the high school marching band...oh wait, no, we just have the uniforms. if you want, some day i'll bring my uniform out and we can do our own marching band parade.

TealWren said...

I already donated, but I'll leave a comment here too. I think it's an incredible opportunity for the marching band! :) I wasn't even a Ute, but I skipped marching band in College too. :( So many good times in high school!

Parker said...

Go Utes!!!

lizzie said...

do they need a lead vocalist in the marching band? i have experience in that!

Emily said...

I was SUCH a band geek. Section leader, woodwinds leader, the whole nine yards. Marching band season was a huge deal in my life. I don't think my parents ever fully recovered...

Bob said...

This is an awesome idea. I have always loved the U marching band, and for them to get this opportunity is fantastic.

Thanks again for doing this.

-Bob

KimmyGoat said...

Great idea! May they rock DC!

Reb said...

They sure should get to go! Hope this helps!

Jason said...

Go UTES!!!! What a great idea, Alyssa. Too bad I left the band the year before Urban Meyer showed up. They've done much cooler stuff since I graduated.

autumn said...

How awesome are you! I would love to donate, but...frankly, if you are going to do it, then even better for me! Go Utes!

Casey said...

Go Utes!

zaimee said...

Hi, i started reading your divorce saga a while ago and then was distracted (2 young kids). I returned to it tonight and read the whole thing. I am speechless. You are such an amazing writer and I really think you should write books. Your story was so evocative and you have such a gift for writing. I am looking forward to reading your blog as often as I can. Happy new year and happy giving a student an amazing opportunity.

Nicole said...

What a great idea! Go UTES!

Shanz said...

Being a former Ute, I felt it only appropriate to comment here! I found your blog through Tiffany.
I will be donating over there as well! Thanks for your generosity!

♥ cheri said...

You are awesome for doing this! I have so many friends in our high school marching band,and I have always wished I could play with them (I'm a choir geek). Anyway, let's hope they make it to DC!

michele said...

band geeks rule, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

dan

Jessica said...

Please donate $5 for me. Unless you are out of money. Then please just pretend you donated and I'll continue to feel happy.

Meanwhile, go Utes! I am a Utah fan forever.

emily said...

band nerd! go utes!

Kelli said...

Friend of Tiff's and fellow U alum! What a generous idea! Go Utes! Go Band! Go Nerds!

Kat :) said...

I donated $5 myself after reading this to double it up. It is great the way you are supporting the band. Go Utes!

millefleur said...

So are you coming down to watch them? You really do owe us a visit . . . although we're considering getting out of dodge for the inauguration and trying to crash at your place. :)
Emily

Ma said...

I'm so impressed with what you are doing. Way to go.

critts said...

That's awesome for the Utes! Way to go Alyssa for supporting them.

katie said...

Pretty sure i'm the only one in my family that is NOT a Ute, but I like the color red.

Kate said...

Niece of Tiff's, and a Utah fan for life! Go Utes!!

Roger said...

Dear Soul-Fusion -

What a great way to bring your e-friends together for a great cause.
My son is a freshman in the Utes Marching Band and had a great time in New Orleans and the Sugar Bowl. I know the support from you and all the other posters here means a lot to the Band members.
I already made the $130.00 pledge for the 13-0 perfect season.
Thank you everyone for your support of this great group of young men and women to represent Utah at this historic event.

Utes Marching Band Dad

erin said...

As the family member of two Ute Marching Band alumni, I absolutely must comment. I'm also making my own donation. Go Utes!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails