Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I'm Not Overwhelmed . . .

Why would I be overwhelmed? I only have 55 people who have agreed to come to my festive apartment on Saturday to eat my homemade treats. Except that my apartment isn't quite festive yet. And I haven't baked a single treat. Not a one. Usually with this little time (4 DAYS!) left before my annual dessert party I have sugar cookie and ginger cookie dough in the fridge and possibly some baked banana bread in the freezer or maybe even the peanut butter cups. All I have is some gingerale and cranberry juice in the closet, black bananas in the freezer and lots of chocolate chips in my cupboard. But that is something, right?

Just because last year I started the decorating process in November and had the bulk of it up by exactly today's date even though I didn't have the party until a week later into December doesn't mean I can't pull this off, right? I mean, last year I had the added challenge of planning a ward Christmas party the day before my own party. And last year's party worked itself out somehow.

Besides, I have a friend arriving from SLC in the early morning hours of Saturday who has promised to decorate and sprinkle my baked goods and lend a hand where needed (with the caveat that she should not be allowed to operate the oven due to prior fiasco) in exchange for a place to stay (although I don't normally make my guests work for their inflatable mattress). Another friend offered to help me decorate my apartment if needed . . . I may take her up on that if I haven't done it one of these late nights myself before Friday evening.

If only I didn't also have this pesky job kicking around this week keeping me at my desk until 9ish in the evening. I'm hoping I can take Friday off . . . though not holding my breath.

All of that being said, here is my admittedly overly ambitious baking wish-list. It will be paired down and slashed dramatically with last minute substitutions thrown in before Saturday at 9 pm when people start showing up but these are the items calling my name from cookbooks and blogs and old standby favorites. Any thoughts?

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Sugar Cookies
Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
Banana Bread (perhaps with almonds)
Spiced Nuts
Ginger Cookies
Brownie S'mores . . . still in the concept phase, thoughts? suggestions?
Peanut Butter Cups
Cashew Caramel Cookies
Peppermint Crunch Crackles (a chocolate cookie with peppermint on top)
Pumpkin Roulade with Gingerbutter Cream
Fudge
perhaps another cupcake, any flavor suggestions?
Feedback on the menu is strongly encouraged. Although I will point out that all desserts must be essentially bite-sized and edible without utensils. Thus, I generally stick with cookies, mini-cupcakes and easy-ish candy - maybe this year I will try divinity? I gave found people eat more when items are in smaller portions. I try to have a variety of flavors and avoid making chocolate everything - which is my natural inclination. I also try not to put nuts in everything which is also my natural inclination. I will try and take lots of photos so I can do a few how-to tutorials after the party so let me know what you are most interested in seeing as a stand-alone recipe post. Although I am not making any firm promises since I usually end up multi-tasking like mad and adding step-by-step photographs make me mad!

7 comments:

autumn said...

I think the red velvet cupcakes are a must. I would also love to sample a candy cane sugar cookie as well as the smores brownies. How fun...and good luck. I would be totally overwhelmed. Oh...and the fudge and anything with ginger buttercream.

hovergirl said...

oh I wish so much I could be there. I have the easiest cherry cheesecake tart recipe (a la Weeb) that i will send to you. I mean EASY and makes lots.

Christian said...

My jaw is on the floor. You're amazing. I'd tell you to simplify, but then I'd risk not tasting some of these!

Vanessa The Scientist said...

Oh how I wish I lived in NY right now. Your list sounds divine! And looks ambitious. Good luck with everything.

Also, I've had s'mores brownies and they're AMAZING! I found the recipe on the epicurious site.

katie said...

I do have a recipe for peppermint fudge. I made it last year and it was a huge hit. Very cute too with the crumbled up candy canes. I'll see if I can find it. All I remember is that it calls for A LOT of cream cheese. That's good right?

RJHnrksn said...

Here's a super easy and yummy recipe for chocolate peanut butter blossoms. Get pre-made, or make your own p.b. cookie mix. Mix according to package directions. Spoon into mini muffin tin. Bake for 12 min or until edges are golden. While they are baking, unwrap a bag of reese's peanut butter cups. When the cookies are done, place a p.b. cup right in the middle of the cookies and let them sit in there and get a little melty. After they cool down, take them out and let them cool completely. Enjoy. I swear, they are the best little treats, and get eaten right up. Good Luck!

Mary said...

If you make the red velvet cupcakes, can you do a tutorial? I still dream of the one I had from Autumn.

Related Posts with Thumbnails