Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!!

Each October, my mom would take my siblings and me to the local fabric store and we would leaf through those giant pattern books, turning the heavy pages over in chunks to reach the costume section in the back. Although, now that I think about it, I don't believe my brothers went. They were never as excited about the costume aspect as I was. Or so I assume. One brother was always Dracula. For at least 5 years in a row. Every year I would complain and try and convince him to be something different because "you were Dracula laaaaast year!" Understandably, my mom wanted me to just leave the issue be so she had one less costume to create. I usually had ideas before we went to the fabric store but I was easily swayed off topic by all of the photos in the books on the special slanted top table. After we selected a costume pattern, we would wander around the store looking selecting fabric and the odds and ends to complete the costume. I hated that part. Or, more accurately, I hated that part after I had found my fabric. My mom has always said this was her favorite part of sewing - selecting the pattern and fabrics - so I think she took her time. But time is a funny thing when you are a child. When adults (especially parents) are doing boring adult things, time seems to stop. I make pretty quick decisions, which leaves me with little patience for those who ponder things with a bit more deliberation. Like my sister. Oddly enough, I don't remember the majority of the costumes my created this way.
But I do remember being a genie in 1985. I was 10 and a big fan of watching I Dream of Jeanie. This photo doesn't do the full costume justice. The sparkly tank top was the most beautiful thing in the world to a 10-year old girl. Even one who was never very girly and generally shunned pink. But the silver elasticy straps (you can see it can of makes a u down the front) were itchy. And Utah isn't always the warmest place at the end of October. So, the turtle neck was added at the last minute prior to trick-or-treating. Please note the pink pompom detail at the waist. I am telling you that was an amazing costume that I was proud to wear to the costume parade at school. Did you have those in elementary school? The afternoon of Halloween you got to go change into your costume in the bathroom and there was a party with cake and cookies and everyone marched around the room smiling at the parents who didn't work and came to do their kids' makeup. Again, only the genie costume sticks out.
Although there was one year where I decided to be siamese twins with my friend across the street. We wore those full piece pjs with the feet and a blanket wrapped around us and carried bottles. We were warm but I think it was a dumb costume. Even then we hated the logistics of it.

In junior high, in a half-hearted attempt to emulate my mother, I tried to sew my own costume. We were living in St. George at the time and so we got my grandma involved. Which means, I picked out the pattern and material and my grandma made the costume. I was supposed to be learning how to sew from her. The costume was great and I have no idea why I don't have any photos of it. I was a pirate with a very cute dress that looked more Minnie Mouse than pirate - white blousey top and a red skirt with white polka dots. But I added this black netting slip that made it really fun to spin around in.

***********************************
Note: I am not going to have time to finish the post the way I wanted to. And given the fact that it will be outdated if I wait to finish it tomorrow, I'm just going to leave it at this and show you some photos from past Halloween adventures. Enjoy and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!





7 comments:

michele said...

oh the memories!

Jen said...

Awesome costumes!

My mom always made mine, too. One year, she re-made an old yellow bridesmaid dress of hers into a princess dress for me, complete with a royal purple cape. I wore this ridiculous brown wig, which really had no logical nexus to the rest of the ensemble. Still, I loved that costume and thought I looked fantastic.

Here's to moms who make their kids' costumes! I am trying to carry on the tradition, but I have boys, so it's a little easier.

katie said...

I love Michele's oompa loompa.

Vanessa The Scientist said...

I LOVE those 80's and 90's Halloween costumes! Thanks for posting those older pics. I have the best memories of those years. I went to a Halloween party last night and all the girls were dressed scantily and all the guys' costumes were solely for shock value. ARGH. Not as fun.

hovergirl said...

I was very relieved NOT to be in any of those pictures! I have a half-buried memory of getting talked into dressing up with all you cool kids and going as a devil to some ghastly dance...

Vanessa The Scientist said...

Hold the phone! Upon closer look of these photos I think I spot Poison Ivy from one of the Batman movies. Am I correct on that? What a great costume. You make a pretty awesome Cat Woman yourself. Wowza!

autumn said...

Hilarious! I love the dream of Jeanie. The picture looks brillant, I would love to see the real costume.

Related Posts with Thumbnails