Friday, September 12, 2008

Kami's Movie Clip Party

Okay, now I'm really playing along. Kami, over at The Biggie Blog, is hosting a Movie Clip party this week. And while I kind of worked a movie clip in nicely into my last post it was more about the book so I decided it doesn't really count. So this is my real entry.

This first clip is from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I beautifully filmed brilliant piece of cinema that taught me I actually like Jim Carrey because he is an amazing actor - especially when paired so well with Kate Winslet. It was really hard for me to settle on one clip (I almost did "Am I Ugly", check it out because it captures all the vulnerability of loving someone) but I've decided to go with this one, "Just wait" because it illustrates so well that angsty (I'm sure this is a word, right?) point in a relationship when you each feel it is futile to go forward but your heart just won't let go. Perhaps you will think my view of relationships is off when I tell you I think this movie captures real love in a way that few films manage to do so but that is how I feel. It is heartfelt and funny and real. And this scene captures a lot of that, have a go (apologies for the F word at ~1:06):


Next up is Spanglish. Again, lots of scenes appeal to me in this movie but I especially love this one line in this clip (you can skip ahead to the 4 minute mark) that so humorously illustrates how hard Adam Sandler's character is fighting his attraction to this woman while his wife is heading for crazy time.


I feel like this clip from High Fidelity is a secret glimpse into how a man's mind works. I love when he gets to the line "I'm tired of the fantasy" for many reasons. It is easy to idealize someone else when nothing is real, but all you are left with is fantasy and no substance. (oh, again, warning about the language):


This is Roxanne from Moulin Rouge. I just think it is beautiful - visually and love the tango version of Roxanne. Enjoy!


This clip is from one of my absolute all time favorite movies - About a Boy (yet another Nick Hornby book - High Fidelity is also by Hornby - the books are better but transferred well onto film). This is the "ooh, I'm really scared" clip near the beginning when Marcus first inserts himself into Will's selfish life ("That's the problem with charity, you have to mean things to help people."). Another favorite line "The worst part was when they closed their eyes." Such a great film:


This isn't the clip I was looking for from In America but I discovered this movie is not as readily accessible as the others so I had to compromise. But this is a good one. If you haven't seen the movie I hope this clip entices you. I cannot say enough good things about this movie:


Finally, this one is going way, way back - to 1940's "The Philadelphia Story" with Carey Grant and Katharine Hepburn (Gregory Peck as well but he isn't in this clip). From the witty reportee between Grant and Hepburn at the first of the clip to Hepburn's famous nostalgic line "my, she was yar", this scene stands out. While Audrey is the Hepburn women look to for style and grace, Katharine is the Hepburn I have always aspired to be. She just comes across with so much guts and independence and was so quick-witted and slightly tom-boyish. And despite all the bravado she displays with Grant, she so convincingly reveals vulnerability in the final line "I don't want to be worshipped, I want to be loved." Which is why I chose this scene:

3 comments:

Kami said...

I love Spainglish. I need to see that one again, along with Eternal Sunshine...It is fun to see what you chose. Thanks for comin' to the party, Alyssa!

michele said...

glad to see you had 2 of my all-time favorite movies on here. love, love, love high fidelity and about a boy!

Tiffany said...

Very fun! Some I love and some I need to check out for sure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails