Wednesday, July 16, 2008

words of advice

If you have a minute, here are some things I have been enjoying recently that I suggest you check out:

  • Beck's new album Modern Guilt. I'm loving it. And listening to it right now for the third time since I downloaded it on the 11th. Which may not sound like much until you realize I haven't been alone in my house to listen to it since the 12th and I am just now syncing my ipod.
  • blueberry smoothies a la Pioneer Woman. I can't get enough of them. Now I should probably invest in a blender (and find a place in my kitchen for it) because they are probably much easier to make in a blender than in my cuisinart! (PS let's just pretend my photo is as good as over there at PW Cooks):
  • the ski jump game on Wii Fit. No lie, my quads were sore for two days after playing this on Saturday!
  • Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. What an intense and compelling book! I have always had a fascination with Russian history (in college it was more Imperial Russia and this is full on Communist Russia but still). I highly, highly recommend this one.
  • hosting a couple of Aussie girls for a few days. My first summer during law school I did an internship in Sydney, Australia (9 years ago!) and I hit it off so well with my mentor that I have kept in touch with him all this time and I have even managed to catch up with him once in a while when he is in the states. Well, his two step daughters are on a round the world adventure (I'm so jealous!) and spent a few days crashing on my couch. They are 18 and 23 (which is how old I was when I was in Sydney I think . . .). Anyway, they were such fun and I loved their perspective on everything. Plus, they left me some delicious Tim Tam cookies from Australia and passed me peanut butter m&ms in church when my stomach was growling, so what's not to love? Too bad I was lame and never snapped a pic of these cute girls.
  • Dancing video. Have you seen it? I saw it a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it but failed to share. Shame on me, right? Today I ran across this article about the video and the guy and the story behind it all in the NY Times.
  • chocolate chip cookies. Not that I have had any lately. I have just had a terrible craving ever since I read this article and every other baker blogger in the blogosphere has thrown their two cents (along with their experiments) in on the thing. Me? I haven't had the time. Or the people to give the cookies away to because let's be honest. I should not be eating a full batch of cookies. But one of these days I might have to run my own test. But not with their recipe. I already have a time-honored crowd pleasing recipe that has been refined through the generations (of my mom and me).
  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. This is a collection of her short stories a friend gave me for my birthday and I have a hard time putting it down once I start a story so it is good they are short. But that is also my complaint, they are these beautiful little slivers of life that make me want to stay with the characters.
  • Lobster at a beach club on Long Island. I should be more excited about this than I was. Big work event that was loads of fun last year and somehow fell completely flat this year. The food was fine. There was definitely lots of it. The problem was I was mostly looking forward to the dancing and everyone was lame and the dancing never got going.
  • So You Think You Can Dance. Seriously, how have I missed this show before? Oh, right, that was before I had a DVR! And don't ask me who my favorite is because I love Will (who doesn't), Katee, Joshua and of course the Utah girl Chelsea. But I'm also a fan of Marc and Twitch and I must admit Courtney has grown on me . . . ugh. I think they are all pretty amazing. Except Kherrington and I wasn't a fan of Jessica either.
  • the view from the Rainbow Room:Can you see the lights in the middle of the Park? That's the Bon Jovi concert. Pretty cool, no?
  • Dance all night at the amazing art deco banquet room at a wedding in the Rainbow Room with the R-O-T-A-T-I-N-G-D-A-N-C-E-F-L-O-O-R! Which sadly only moved imperceptibly but was cool nonetheless. But if you get this amazing opportunity I'm guessing you will be better than me and take more than one photo of the whole thing and you would probably do it before 1 am when you are red-faced and sweaty. Oh, right. You probably don't get all red-faced and sweaty at a black tie affair . . .
That should do it for me. What have you been up to lately that you might recommend?

3 comments:

autumn said...

Oh...thanks for all the advice. I'll have to try the Beck album and the blueberry smoothie (maybe tomorrow). I know what you mean about SYTYCD. I can't replaying the twitch and comfort hip-hop and the ballet one with Will and Katee from tonight.

Kami said...

Anything by Tabitha & Napoleon is my favorite! How crazy that I was in your dream and we haven't even met. Funny. I wish I could remember my dreams.

lizzie said...

i want to be at the bon jovi concert!

Related Posts with Thumbnails