Monday, April 14, 2008

wish me luck . . . and lots of it!

I don't focus on my work too much around here for a variety of reasons I won't get into that mostly come down to not wanting to be fired. But I am going to divulge a tiny sliver of work because I'm anxious/excited/nervous/worried/scared/anticipating and did I mention worried? about tomorrow. I am going to arguing my first big hearing. I've been in and out of court rooms many, many times over the last few years and I am, for the most part, comfortable there. Of course, most of the time I sit back, listen and take notes and criticize the speaker in my head as to what they should have said. Sometimes I have to say things like "I concur with the form of the order" or make minor arguments. No big deal. I'm comfortable with that. Which is why it is time to stretch.

Tomorrow morning I will be arguing a major objection to opposing counsel's motion. I represent one of 22 different parties who have joined this objection (of which I was the principle author). This group of 22 parties have selected me to argue on their behalf. So I am not only arguing this thing for my client, but for 21 other parties as well. Shoot, I might be psyching myself out by writing that down.

Anyway, the reason I am writing is to ask for your well wishes, your crossed fingers, your prayers, your positive thoughts and good vibes, and if you have a wishbone, birthday candles, shooting star or stray eyelash to make a wish on, that might help as well. I will definitely return the favor in your hour of need - you know, for Karma's sake. Please send this positive force my way around 9:30 EST tomorrow morning as I will be needing all the help I can get to quell the butterflies in my stomach, steady my hands and voice and keep my body temperature from swelling too high (you know, so I don't sweat too much) as I step to the podium all while looking calm and serene and smart like a real lawyer should. Maybe I will wear my glasses to help with the looking smart thing.

Alright, back to prepping. I should probably go home so I can start practicing my arguments in the mirror.

14 comments:

Christina said...

Good luck! I'll say a little prayer for you (you know, Dionne Warwick style).

Maria said...

I'm sure you will do great! Ill be thinking of you tomorrow morning.

Emily said...

Good luck!!! Make sure you throw in a "you can't handle the truth" just for good measure! :)

Leslie said...

Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll do fabulously well!

emily said...

kick his ass sea bass!

KimmyGoat said...

This attorney has never ever stepped foot in a courtroom, so she thinks that you are most definitely the best oral arguer she knows! Knock 'em dead.

Happy thoughts are thunk your way!

DeAnn said...

(((hug)))
You'll be fantastic!

critts said...

Good luck! I know you'll do fabulously well! I'll definitely be praying for you.

katie said...

You'll do great I'm sure. I'd definately want you arguing for me.

Tiffany said...

I can't imagine anyone who would do a better job! I'll be thinking of you.

michele said...

good luck tomorrow!

lizzie said...

holy crap! good luck but i don't think you will need it!

womaninawindow said...

This is why I did not become a lawyer and did become a mom. My audience is much shorter and they don't always know when I bluff and make shit up. good luck though!

Keith said...

well...don't leave us hanging....

Related Posts with Thumbnails