Friday, February 01, 2008

rain rain go away

Today was a wet and dreary start to February. And while many of you non-New Yorkers may be sick of driving in inclimate weather, I must say I am tired of walking in it. A year ago my defense against cold, dreary, wet and windy weather was to avoid it by working intensely long days that allowed me to take a chauffeured black town car home rather than brave the twenty-minute walk. While I probably have enough work to keep me in the office until ten each night, without the intense deadlines I have no desire to inflict those kind of hours on myself - even if staying late means a free dinner and a car ride home. . . and potentially shorter hours in the summer.

Instead, New Yorkers have to dress for the weather. I cannot leave my apartment without watching the weather on the Today show, compulsively consulting the temperature in the lower left-hand corner of the tv and when that isn't available I have to check the weather on NY1.com. If I fail to take this precautionary measure, there is a very good chance I will be stuck in the rain without an umbrella, wearing a coat that is too heavy or light for the temperature or dragging heavy boots around with the sun shining. Selecting the proper outerwear doesn't always line-up with fashion ideals. In my trudge to work in the bitter depths of winter I will often catch a glimpse of myself in the reflective glass of a building and shudder at how closely I resemble one of those Russian dancers with my pants haphazardly shoved into boots and billowing out the top with my belted military-esque jacket topped with a scarf and hat. But some days I feel like I pull the layers off.

Like today. I wouldn't say I was fashion shoot ready by any means (um, when am I?), but I was pleased with my battle gear: a coat that was heavy enough for the cold but not too heavy for the nearly 40 degree temps, rain boots to slosh through the streets and gutters and sidewalks and my favorite knee-high argyle socks that added an extra layer of warmth over tights - with a bonus of coordinating colors with my coat and skirt:
Never mind that even though I was wearing a skirt with a hem above my knee the bottom 4 inches were soaked by the time I got home - perhaps because the last block or so I had to use my umbrella as a shield since the wind was blowing the rain sideways.

Now I am spending a cozy evening watching the Jazz game trying to catch glimpses of my brother and his wife sitting two row behind the Washington Wizards' bench. I am SO jealous!! And yes, I have seen him a couple of times! Which only increased my intense envy.

Perhaps later I will manage to write the more serious post that has bouncing around in my head all week.

4 comments:

Ma said...

I remember when I was a kid growing up in St. George I thought it would be so cool to have it rain a lot so that I would need some of the bright yellow galoshes, rain slicker and umbrella that I saw in pictures. Now most of the people I know want to go to St. George where there's no snow or rain. . . or at least not much rain.

I love your whole outfit and I do love your rain boots even better than the bright yellow boots that I wanted as a kid.

Kami said...

I love the outfit. I want a pair of those rain boots just for the funky patterns. It seems that you can get away with them with galoshes. Don'tcha just love that word?

P.S. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Beck said...

I think you look GREAT - I SO WANT THAT OUTFIT!

Tiffany said...

I am dying over the boots! DYING!

Related Posts with Thumbnails