Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Best of 2007

Last January I did a Best of 2006 so I thought I would take a look back at 2007 and give my opinions on what was the best and what was the worst. Let me know what you thought of 2007 as well.

***MOVIES/TV***
Best of Film: Waitress and Juno
Worst of Film: Knocked Up and Because I Said So
Most Overrated Film: Knocked Up
Most Underrated Films: The Lives of Others
Guilty Pleasure: Enchanted and Transformers
Most Entertaining Films: The Bourne Ultimatum
Biggest Disappointments: Spider-Man 3

2007 Top 10 Movies (not in order, difficult to rank)
Waitress
Juno

The Lives of Others
Freedom Writers
The Namesake
After the Wedding
Dan in Real Life
Charlie Wilson's War
Reign Over Me
The Bourne Ultimatum

Honorable Mentions
Broken English
The Simpsons
Gracie
Bridge to Terabithia
La Vie en Rose
Enchanted

2007 Worst Movies (all thankfully viewed on dvd)
Knocked Up
Because I Said So

Music and Lyrics
In the Land of Women
Georgia Rule


Ten 2007 Movies I Would Like To See But Haven't Yet (so I will Netflix or try and catch in the theater before the remaining ones disappear)
Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The Savages
Atonement
Becoming Jane
I Am Legend
Lars and the Real Girl
Stardust
Gone Baby Gone
No Reservations
Into the Wild


2007 Best of Netflix (regardless of year it was released)
The Painted Veil
Pieces of April
Children of Heaven
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
Vanity Fair
Billy Elliot
Last King of Scotland
The Page Turner
Monsieur Ibrahim
Pride

2007 Best of TV:
The Office
How I Met Your Mother
The OC Final Season (viewed courtesy of Netflix, seriously it almost redeemed itself in the end)

Worst of TV: most of it - very difficult to narrow this one down. . . especially with the writer's strike and way, way too much reality tv
Best Reality TV: Project Runway (still)

***MUSIC***
Best New 2007 Music
Best CDs: Radiohead "In Rainbows"
Jill Scott "Jill Scott Collaborations"
Eddie Vedder "Into the Wild"
The Killers "Sawdust" (even if I discovered them after 2007)

Best New Songs of 2007:
(the ones I have anyway, in no specific order)
Not My Friend, Norah Jones
Sometimes I Wonder
, Jill Scott & Darius Rucker
Tell Me 'Bout It, Joss Stone
Love Song, Sara Bareilles
I Feel It All, Feist
Love, Reign O'er Me, Pearl Jam

Top 10 (okay, 11) Songs I Loved In 2007 (but weren't released in 2007, not in order):
Parachutes, Pearl Jam
Brighter Than Sunshine, Aqualung
Golden, Jill Scott
Just a Ride, Jem
New Round, Beck
Do You Realize, The Flaming Lips
Wait, Get Set Go
Track 4, Sigur Ros
Ruby Blue, Roisin Murphy
Enginn, Didda & Herb Legowitz
The Luckiest, Ben Folds


***BOOKS***
(this is just what I read in 2007, doesn't necessarily mean it was published in 2007)
Best Airport Reading: The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Most Compelling Novel: Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith

Other Books I Enjoyed in 2007:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life by J.M. Coetzee
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
The Rough Guide to Iceland

Books I Started in 2007 But Haven't Finished:
On the Road, by Jack Kerouac
Snow by Orhan Pamuk

***MISCELLANEOUS***

Best of Theater: I saw Les Miserables with my sister-in-law again but wasn't too impressed, otherwise I don't think I saw anything

Best of Travel: I had an excellent travel year so this is hard to pin down:
Worst of Travel:
  • getting to St. Lucia was really bad and frustrating and probably the worst experience
  • as was my whole baggage ordeal in July
  • but flying home for Christmas gets an honorable mention - 3 hour delay with the threat of getting kicked off! No fun.
  • But if I was really voting for the worst travel experience of 2007 I would award it to Tiffany for her harrowing journey from JFK to my apartment
Best of Sports:
  • Hands down, the Jazz shocking run in the 2007 NBA playoffs and getting to go to the Western Conference Finals with my sister
  • I also enjoyed a couple of Yankees games this last summer, one in my firm's excellent seats
  • snowboarding in Utah
Worst of Sports:
  • stupid Jazz losing to the Knicks at MSG two years in a row!
  • oh, and me falling and hurting my back (that still hurts!) snowboarding
Best Purchase: Dyson vacuum and my house
Worst Purchase: any number of silly things I don't need or end up wearing, difficult to come up with one ultimate worst purchase
Best Decision of 2007: biting my tongue and taking a walk when instead I wanted to scream
Worst Decisions of 2007: perhaps too many to list or recall specifically other than always staying up too late (like right now!)
Most Difficult Day of 2007: the day of my dad's surgery
Happiest Days of 2007: I can't pick a single day but these were good ones

6 comments:

emily said...

i agree with the movies we have both seen. waitress was the very best movie i have seen i a very long time. loved it. i haven't seen juno yet. unfortunately i did see knocked up. holy crap-fest. i keep reading all this crap about jud apatow and how brilliant he is. that movie was soooooo incredibly boring. not even kind of funny.
agree also on the bourne movie. very good.
apparently i need to give the oc another chance. i only watched the first season. now is a good time since tv is soooo bad i've decided to cancel our cable supscription.
love project runway.
great music picks.

tiffany said...

Thank you, thank you! I graciously accept my award for Worst Travel Experience of 2007! And I'd like to thank everybody who got me there--namely the INSANE shuttle driver!

I love this list!!! I remember using last year's list as inspiration for movies and music! Although, I didn't love The Waitress--what's wrong with me? I love Keri Russell...

Ma said...

You could have said that November was your best posting month of 2007. I was certainly impressed with the fact that you did a post every day. If you reach your 2008 goal of being more social, will that cut into your blogging time, or will you keep posting?

autumn said...

I just finished Joy Luck Club...again. It's one of my favorites. Yet another reason why we are friends.

Beck said...

Not making a fool of yourself on the dancefloor is the thing to actually be regretted!
I loved Waitress - I just saw it last weekend!

Blogger said...

Sports betting system earn +$3,624 profit last week...

Z-Code System winning picks and forecasts for NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails