Wednesday, December 12, 2007

New York Christmas Scene IV

The tree at Rockefeller Center is likely the most famous Christmas tree in the country . . . except maybe the one in the White House, but that one isn't exactly accessible to the public. I would argue that this one is not all that accessible either. Crowds of people and all kinds of other holiday displays make the plaza crowded and uninviting. The tree is big. Which is impressive I guess, as is the much acclaimed Swarovski crystal star clear up on the top - not that I could really see it from the ground. But I think Tiffany agreed with me that the Lincoln Plaza tree is prettier. The lack of crowds help but I also love the giant ornaments and twinkling lights at night.
I will say this for the Rockefeller tree, I thought the penny pool thing - officially called the Penny Harvest Field - is a pretty unique idea and it was interesting to stand there and listen to all the clinking pennies being thrown added to the pile. I think it is supposed to be a hundred million pennies but with all the other pennies being thrown on I'm sure that number is growing.
And here is one more pic of Tiffany in front of the tree.

1 comment:

katie said...

I'm jealous. One day I'll get there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails