Wednesday, December 05, 2007

New York Christmas Scene Ib and a Recipe!

All day I was disappointed over (what I thought) was one measly comment after my plea for comments to fuel my inspiration. Tonight I decided to check my blog . . . you know, just in case it was broken or forgot to forward the comments to my gmail account. And guess what? There were 8, EIGHT! comments sitting there (thank you all!), only one of which was ever sent to my inbox. What is up with that blogger? Or google or whoever decided to be a grinch today and withhold these affirming nuggets from me. And I am so clueless in the tech department that I don't even know where I would begin to sort this out and try and fix it.

Anyway, tonight's picture is a fresh one I took less than an hour ago. The subject matter though is already a repeat (hence this is scene Ib)- this is the same tree at Lincoln Center. I was walking home from the church again (on a Wednesday night no less!) and I couldn't resist snapping up a pic with the lights twinkling. I tried to be artsy-ish with the fountain in the foreground to block the ugly blue barricade guarding the tree but as you can see . . . I don't really have an artistic eye. But the tree is still pretty.
I will also add that I have kicked off my dessert party baking . . . on accident. I had some bananas that were ripe and perfect for banana bread. So Monday night I whipped a batch together with a few extra shakes of spices to give it that Christmas spice bread flavor. Oh, and I always add chocolate chips to my banana bread. Here is a photo of the cute little loaves lined up in their pans right before I wrapped them up and stored them in the freezer to wait for the party, all save one which I gobbled up myself - over the course of a couple of days because you know, I had to sample it to make sure it was edible what with all the extra experimental spices and all.And if you are in need of an excellent banana bread recipe, give this one a try.

Quick Tip: I store my blackened bananas (make sure they are complete black - better flavor!) in the freezer until I'm ready for a batch of this quick bread:

Sift together:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
cinnamon - I think 2 or 3 teaspoons, possibly more
nutmeg - 1 or 2 teaspoons I would guess
ground cloves - 1/2 to 1 teaspoon

Add:
1 cup sugar

In a separate mixing bowl, mash up:
3 ripe bananas

Then add:
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup shortening (tip: if you are still using shortening out of the tub as opposed to those Crisco sticks - which I can't locate in Manhattan - swirl an egg around in your measuring cup before scooping the Crisco in and it will slide right out and not make quite as big a mess. But then, maybe you all know this already)

Add the flour/sugar/spice mix to the banana mix and blend well.

Optional: add
1/2 cup chopped nuts
and/or
chocolate chips
I use both!

Pour into 4 greased small bread pans (or 2 regular size bread pans)
Bake for approximately 45 minutes at 400 degrees

These little loaves are quick and easy, make great holiday gifts and they freeze well. Super easy and tasty!

7 comments:

alison said...

i do the same thing with my bananas, but i don't use them as fast as i should. so i have almost an entire shelf of black bananas in my freezer. if you get a chance, make sure you check out everyday food's special baking issue. i got it today and the recipes all looked so good!

Ma said...

I really like your Christmas picture.

I'll have to have some ripe bananas when you come home so that you will make me some banana bread.

Beck said...

My comments are screwed up too, so I don't think it's something you can fix.
Mmmm, banana bread!

lizzie said...

very nice. and the banana breads look so cute!

katie said...

Yep...something was up with your comment thingy. It wouldn't let me comment. Anyways....I love the artsy picture. I would LOVE to be in NYC right now.

Annie said...

I guess I can't ask if I can send my bananas to you since you included the recipe! I'll have to give it a try, looks DELICIOUS!

critts said...

It sounds so yummy! Now I wish I had some bananas to make some banana bread.

Related Posts with Thumbnails