Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Anticipation . . .

I am so jealous of all the snow that Salt Lake has been accumulating lately and getting extremely anxious for the 21st of December to arrive for a number of reasons (not necessarily in this priority order):
  1. Last official work day of the year! I am working late this week so I can get my hours in and done so I can hopefully ignore my blackberry for the rest of the year after the 21st. WHEE!
  2. I fly home for 9 days on the 21st - on a direct flight so hopefully I won't have to endure the stress of the threat of being stranded in Cinncinnati again (this almost happened last year!). That is a helpless feeling sitting on a plane still in the air knowing your connecting flight should have left without you before you ever had a chance to land. It is also a panicked run through the airport knowing the plane is being held for you and a handful of other frantic passengers not wanting to spend Christmas in a strange hotel in Ohio . . . or Kentucky I guess which is where I have been told the Cinncinnati airport actually rests.
  3. And most importantly, lest my mother misinterpet this post, I am most excited to be home with my family for Christmas. I have never even considered not going home - even if home can sometimes bring family drama. The pros outweigh the cons. There is nothing like the warmth and familiarity of family and traditions at Christmas and although I continue to push a tropical vacation for Christmas, I will drag my parents with me when I finally do it (perhaps next year).
  4. Friends - I always enjoy cramming lunches, dinners and leisurely visits in with friends while I'm home. I never have time to see everyone but that lends to the comforting feeling of knowing I am loved and missed by people who have wandered into my life and stuck . . . even when distance and time pushes us apart.
  5. Girl Party - sometimes I think we should name our annual friends party that has officially and unofficially been repeating itself at Christmas since 1992 or so. My fantastic high school friends who have stuck together through the years never fail me in picking a December date to gather to eat with abandon and catch each other up on the nonesense, frivolties, momentous landmark events and serious happenings of the past year. Blogs have kept us in better touch this year which makes me even more anxious to see everyone in live action on the 26th because I have been able to vicariously take part in their individual lives year-round. Truly one of my favorite holiday traditions.
  6. Snowboarding. This is ultimately what prompted me to abandon my work for a few minutes to blog (then I felt guilty that someone -- hi Mom! -- might think I'm only looking forward to the snow and not my family so I had to expand my list with the really important stuff up front). I have refrained from obsessing over depth reports becasue my trip was so far off but with all the snow Utah has been getting in the last couple of weeks I had to look up and see for myself what was happening at my favorite ski resort. Let's see, a base of 40" with 1" of new snow today . . . and the photos, if I could I would head out there tonight so I could be on the hill tomorrow. I bought myself a new snowboard last year and only got to ride two days on melty, slushy snow with rocks and trees poking through the surface. From now on I am going to dream about fresh powder. . . I even told my trainer this morning that I didn't mind doing all the squats she was having me do because I think they will help me prepare my thighs for snowboarding. If anyone is looking for a buddy to ride with between December 22nd and 30th (I'm looking at you Michele!!) . . . give me a ring because I will be going up every chance I get. . . you know, in between all the family Christmas traditions, friends parties, lunches and visits and last minute Christmas shopping because I can sleep when I return to New York. I. Can't. Wait!

7 comments:

Ma said...

I still think a tropical Christmas would be great. I would even be up for a cabin or lodge by a ski resort where you could snowboard all day and we could sit by the fire and read.

I am very anxious for you to be home.

michele said...

sure i'm up for snowboarding. i just hope i can fit into my pants.

Beck said...

I hope your trip home goes smoothly - yikes!

Soul-Fusion said...

I'm hoping the same thing Michele . . . every year my snowboarding pants shrink for some reason!

lizzie said...

and that is why i don't snowboard! can't wait to see you...

Tiffany said...

Great post! Anticipating this as my last year in Utah, I am seeing all of these familiar things in a new light. I'm sure Salt Lake will always feel like home, even when I make my home somewhere else.

autumn said...

The snow here really is fabulous. I have a ton of it sitting in my backyard. Utah can't wait to get you back!

Related Posts with Thumbnails