Sunday, November 18, 2007

my menu

I am hosting Thanksgiving Dinner this week and I just finished finalizing my grocery order (I am SO grateful I can order my groceries online!). I think I have my menu finalized but I'm still a bit up in the air as to how many and exactly what pies I will make. So not having the mental stamina for anything but another list. This list is my menu for Thursday's Thanksgiving Extravaganza! I will be hosting my brother and his wife from Boston (plus baby!), my brother and his wife from DC and a couple who live in NYC. I can already tell you I will make too much food. This isn't my first Thanksgiving but it will be my first solo cooking adventure. Two years ago I did it all with my sister's help. I can't convince her to fly out for this one so if anyone is in New York Wednesday and Thursday, I'm looking for a sous chef! Especially one who is not as afraid of handling a giant raw turkey as I am.

The Menu:
  • Turkey (of course)
  • Stuffing - my Grandma's recipe
  • Mashed Potatoes and gravy
  • Cranberry sauce - I'll share the rec
  • rolls - I think I am going to be brave and make them myself again (unless I change my mind and pick some up at Amy's Bread on Wednesday)
  • Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes - I may eat all of these myself!
  • Green beans
  • glazed carrots
  • Dixie Salad - a fruit salad that is a special treat from my mom's family which contains a variety of fruits, including pomegranates (long before they were all hyped for their antioxidants or whatever) walnuts and the best part - WHIPPED CREAM! My mom, sister and I will usually eat this for breakfast the rest of the weekend.
  • a jello dish - probably the old standby of lime jello with cottage cheese, cool whip and pineapple chunks but maybe I will ask my aunt for her jello concoction that has apples suspended in the jello! Because it is tradition I would also have to put a layer of whipped cream on top.
  • butternut squash - haven't decided if I will make a soup or bake it like I did last time
  • a few appetizers of hummus/pitas/carrots or crackers and cheese to stave off hunger pains prior to the meal
  • sparkling cider
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Apple Pie
  • possibly a chocolate pecan pie
  • and/or possibly a butterscotch cream pie
  • considering rice pudding too . . . not sure why.
I may throw in a green salad and maybe another vegetable side dish depending on what I see at the Farmer's Market Wednesday morning but I think that is everything.

So tell me, am I missing anything? What is on your menu for Thursday? Is there some crucial dish that you couldn't have Thanksgiving without it? (my fave would have to be the sweet potatoes and stuffing, oh and the pumpkin pie of course)

5 comments:

tiffany said...

That sounds so good. I made a condensed Thanksgiving dinner today for just the four of us and I'm exhausted. I'm so impressed you're taking that phenomenal menu on yourself. Please take pictures and post recipes!

Annie said...

Cottage cheese and jell-o?? I'm not so sure! Everything else sounds fabulous! You may want to start eating at 10:00 a.m. and pace yourselves!!! Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving!!

alison said...

wow! i am truly impressed. we are going out to dinner with my parents, but i am very excited about that. have a great holiday! i wish i could be in new york to help!

michele said...

wow. you are ambitious. but i agree with annie - no cottage cheese in jello. but everything else sounds delicious!

Beck said...

Now THAT is a holiday menu! I do hope you're inviting me over.

Related Posts with Thumbnails