Saturday, November 03, 2007

First Born

Tiffany recently did a meme on her first born and challenged others to do the same. Not having had the great birthing opportunity as of yet, I decided to ask my mom to do this post for me, since I was her first born. I was surprised to learn a few new things. The photos are me as a baby, wasn't I the cutest? I used to claim I was the ugly duckling in reverse. Now I just know I need to marry an attractive boy so I don't ruin those cute baby genes. I was two hours old in the photo on the right. A bit older and grumpier in the one at the bottom of the post. But enough about me, I'll turn things over to my mom . . . to write about me as no one else can.

1. Were you married at the time? Yes

2. What were your reactions? I was both excited and afraid that I wouldn’t be a good mother because I never liked babysitting and I was so impatient.

3. How old were you? I was the ripe old age of 23.

4. How did you find out you were pregnant? Went to the doctor after missing my period for a couple of months and he called a few days later to give me the good news.

5. Who did you tell first? Bob [my dad!]

6. Did you want to find out the sex? Back in the olden days we had to wait until the birth before we knew the sex of the baby. However, the nurses at the hospital did a very unscientific test to determine the sex and it turned out to be correct. They had me spit in a small cup of Drano (not the liquid kind). I think it would bubble and turn black if the baby was a girl, and it did nothing if it was a boy, or vice versa.

7. Did you deliver early or late? My sweet daughter came when she was good and ready. . . two weeks after my due date. She really knew how to try my patience even from the womb.

8. Did you have morning sickness? Fortunately, no. I did get a little queasy a few mornings, but it didn’t last long at all.

9. What did you crave? I didn’t really crave anything that much. In fact, I lost weight the first 2 or 3 months because I wasn’t hungry. I did eat potatoes in one form or another several times a week, but I don’t think that had anything to do with being pregnant.

10. Who irritated you the most?I actually was less moody when I was pregnant than my very abnormal monthly irritation. It was nice to go 9 months free of any of the usual monthly sickness and moodiness.

11. What was your first child’s sex? You’ll have to ask her.

12. How many pounds did you gain throughout the pregnancy? As I mentioned before, I lost weight the first 3 months because I wasn’t hungry and gained about 20 pounds total. Pretty depressing when I think about how I gain weight now.

13. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy? No. I did get the stomach flu the week before she was born, but other than that, I felt great and had no complications.

14. Where did you give birth? LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah

15. How many hours were you in labor? Not only did she come two weeks late, but she also put me through 36 hours of labor and I was not allowed to eat or drink during that time. I remember watching a baseball game during the first few hours, but then I was so exhausted and discouraged that I had a difficult time even concentrating on my breathing.

16. Who drove you to the hospital? Bob drove me there a couple of times. The first time was about 2 am, but we were sent home and told that I wasn’t ready yet. (I didn’t get any sleep that night) We went back to the hospital around noon and she was born about 4-1/2 hours later.

17. Who watched? Bob.

18. Was it natural or c-section? It was natural.

19. Did you take medicine to ease the pain? Epidurals were new and only one doctor could give them at that time. I was in labor close to 34 or 35 hours before he could get back to giving me an epidural. There were a lot of babies born that day.

20. How much did your child weigh? I think it was around 7lbs. 7oz.

21. Did your child have any complications? No. She was perfect and beautiful. She had big, bright eyes, beautiful color and a lot of very dark hair.

22. What did you name her? Alyssa Dawn

23. How old is your first-born today? Forever young.

5 comments:

michele said...

you had so much hair! that was fun. i might have my mom do this for me.

autumn said...

You're grumpy face picture made me laugh out loud, so cute, yet so upset.

Tiffany said...

Hands down, you were the cutest baby I've ever seen. And the grumpy picture? Come on! I actually don't think it's so much "grumpy" as maybe a little early New Yorker blood.

So fun to read, as usual! Thanks, Barbara!

lizzie said...

so fun! what a darling little baby!

Annie said...

What a cutie! I don't think it was grumpiness, maybe gas:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails