Monday, October 01, 2007

More stolen ideas: Do the iPod Shuffle

I stole this one from here after seeing it in Tiff's Shared Items, which I have been meaning to tell people - I love! I need to focus on the technical side of my blog at some point and figure out how to get a shared items section up and running. Until then, I enjoy viewing your shares so keep them coming.

Okay, to the topic at hand. Here are the rules: Turn your iPod on, go to Shuffle Songs, and name the first 10 songs that come up. No skipping songs! (Especially those you'd rather not admit that are actually on your iPod. That would be cheating.)

Here are mine:
  1. The Sky Is Broken, Moby. This is actually a song (album) I like to listen to when I am reading or working as it is very mellow and isn't intrusive. I think I listened to this cd a lot during law school while I was studying. Not exactly great memories but it does put me in a good serious frame of mind oddly enough.
  2. Psalm 149 for Chorus & Orchestra, Op. 79, Dvorak. I must explain that due to a very memorable nap on the shore of Lac du Neuchatel in Switzerland during which I was listening to this cd on my old school cd player, this cd has magical powers which transport me back to that beautiful day with the sun pressing down on me, French book cast aside in the grass beside me - the lake glistening to my left with a slight breeze keeping me at a perfect temperature. Also, for some reason I can't get past hearing the chorus singing "Salt Lake City" at one point, which they clearly are not. Once I heard that I have never managed to hear it as anything else.
  3. And Suddenly, Left Banke. Ummm, you don't know this song because it is old. Very old. My mom had this album - as in vinyl!! - and there were a couple of songs I really liked so I bought the cd ages ago. Can't say I remember listening to this song but it isn't bad. Walk Away Renee and Pretty Ballerina from the same album are definitely better.
  4. Don't Miss You At All, Norah Jones. Great song. Bought the cd at the beginning of a relationship and listened to this song a lot after it was over trying to convince myself.
  5. That's the Way, Page & Plant. Despite a recent increase in Led Zeppelin listening, I can't say I have listened to this song in the past decade. Not bad but overall I prefer straight Led Zep to the Page & Plant versions.
  6. Tin Man, America. This song is just happy. It feels like a summer day driving down a wide open highway. Also, it reminds me of my mom singing as she cleaned the house. And one more memory: the annual outdoor America concert in Park City during the America's Cup Open in November!! It was freezing but so much fun. Plus we got invited to a party at the house with the yellow door. . . but we were too afraid to go.
  7. Change Clothes, Jay-Z. So in the realm of having variety I have a little Jay-Z. Can't say I have anything to say about this song in particular other than I probably inherited this when my brother gave me some music . . .
  8. Pick Yourself Up, Diana Krall. Great song for singing when no one is around and you are daydreaming about that alternative universe where you are a lounge pianist/singer in a different era.
  9. Everything In Its Right Place, Radiohead. So glad something by Radiohead popped up. I'm a huge fan. This is the live recording and it is best listened to in the dark where the music can engulf you and you can wallow in whatever emotions come. Love it. Or, like Moby, I listen to this while I am working.
  10. Try, Charlie Hunter Quintent. Rounding off my 10 with a little jazz. I don't think I have talked much about my love of jazz here so I will take this opportunity to say I am a big fan and feel I have been sadly delinquent in feeding this love lately. Charlie Hunter is Amazing! So if you are thinking of checking out some jazz music in the near future, give him a listen. Or better yet, ask me and I will put a starter kit playlist together for you. Which is a good idea so I might do that for myself. Let me know if you want one.

And that is it the first 10 of my shuffle of the 4,378 songs currently on my ipod. Kind of an addicting game. And one that can be repeated later when out of posting ideas. Like during NaBloPoMo - National Blog Posting Month, which is apparently in November and requires posting every single day. If nothing else, you can always play the ipod shuffle!

So, what are the results of your shuffle?

3 comments:

Beck said...

Here's my very random random list!
Our Town - Kate Rusby
I Believe In A Thing Called Love - The Darkness
Gouge AWay - The Pixies
To Be Alone With You - Sufjan Stevens
Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin
60 Minute Man - Billy Ward and The Dominoes
Christ is My Hope - The innocence Mission
Etude Op. 2 No. 1 in Sharp Minor - Scriabin
Sunny Day Rainy Day Anytime Band - Ralph's World
Taxi War Dance - Count Basie
There ya go.

lizzie said...

hey, i think i was at that america concert for about two minutes. then i went back to the cabin. someone else was with me...was it emily?

tiff said...

I love your taste in music. I'm going to have to go seek some of these out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails