Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fluffy Yummy Sugar Cookies

I was a very lucky child. My mom made the best sugar cookies ever. These thick cookies somehow managed to be light and fluffy yet avoid the heaviness and overly sweet sugar overload of those (albeit fabulous) pink cookies sold at gas stations around Utah. Instead of crumbling they melt in your mouth.
And lucky me, my mother shares all her recipes. I keep this recipe in my battered blue three-ring binder of recipes inside a plastic page splattered with remnants of past baking frenzies. The recipe is still written in my 18-year old handwriting on a small lined sheet of paper torn from my student Franklin Day Planner (pre-Franklin Covey). The top line is titled "VALUE" and next to it I wrote Sugar Cookies. Yes, sugar cookies are an excellent value to have. In the left column titled "priority" I squeezed in the measurements, you know, 1 cup, 2 cup, etc. Like many of the battered recipes in my binder, this one was retrieved on a forgotten day within the first year or two of college when I just had to bake sugar cookies and somehow realized I needed the cupboard above my mother's stove with the worn little yellow wooden box filled with her memorable recipes retrieved and scrawled out on forgotten days when she called her mother wanting to know how to make one thing or the other. For this reason I have long resisted my mother's repeated suggestion to type out my recipes so they are neater and easier to email.

When my youngest brother got married a few years ago I decided to make a family recipe book for him. I spent hours picking out the recipes, typing them in , coming up with instructions for the recipes that consisted only of a list of ingredients. I formatted them in neat little tables and categorized the book. My mom laminated the page and now whenever I visit him, if I want to make chocolate chip cookies (like I did a few weeks ago), I can pull out their recipe binder and find my familiar recipes. My mom printed and laminated the book for each of my other siblings (I think) but I declined. There are too many memories in my over-stuffed binder that inexplicably has brown sugar inside some liners and memories in the scraps of paper, fliers and magazine tear-outs and internet print-outs. Some recipes have post-its pressed onto the plastic liner reminding me to "double recipe!" or "prep all ingred 1st!!"Today I was in charge of a small social immediately following church so I used that opportunity as an excuse to spend yesterday's rainy Saturday baking. The recipe is below in case you want to try it out. Oh and as you can tell by the witch hats, I do decorate like I am 10 and helping my mom in the kitchen. Definitely not my strong point.


SUGAR COOKIES
1 cup shortening
2 cup sugar
4 eggs
6 cups flour
8 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour milk (I just add a tablespoon of vinegar to milk)
2 tsp vanilla

Refrigerate for an hour or two (or overnight but I rarely plan ahead that far) then mix and roll out. I use quite a bit of flour since the dough is usually pretty tacky.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

This dough also freezes quite well.

3 comments:

tiffany said...

I just gained five pounds reading this.

I love sugar cookies.

Guess I will gain five more and make these this week.

Sour milk, huh?

lizzie said...

yum, again...

E said...

I hope you don't mind, I was google'n "yummy sugar cookies" and I found your blog! I think I'll give them a go! :-)
They do come out nice and sweet though right?

Related Posts with Thumbnails