Monday, September 24, 2007

Introducing. . .

My new house:A few of you may recognize this home as belonging to my grandparents. No, I am not leaving New York. This is my little investment property - a "second" vacation home. My grandparents will remain in the home and act as care takers and I will gain the benefit of a tax break for being a loyal American by taking out a mortgage. Yikes! Plus I will have a great place to vacation. Aside from all the memories formed in this home - and oh, there are many -, the best part is the view:
The beautiful Red Hill. I spent hours and hours wandering among the rocks on that hill as a child searching for horny toads and lizards, trying to catch dragonflys and just exploring. Back then the condos weren't blocking the access, just an open field to wander through.

My great grandparents built the home in about 1945. My grandparents purchased it in 1955 for $10,000. That is far, far less than my down payment! This is what the house looked like originally: Notice the garage? That is now a very large, dark windowless bedroom with a half a bath filled to the ceiling with shelves of my grandmother's fabric. Eventually I am hoping to make the first photo a before picture and do some renovating of my own. My great aunt sent me the below photo from some undisclosed time before the condos across the street were built, confirming that my childhood memory of open space was accurate.
This has been an exciting and sometimes scary venture. Of course the closing was a bit anti-climactic given the facts that I am not moving in, didn't receive a set of keys (until about 10 or 15 years ago no one knew whether keys to the house actually existed!) and won't even visit until after Christmas this year.
So, if you want to see me, you can probably find me in St. George, Utah at least once every six months. Most of my friends through the years have stopped off to see my grandparents at one point or the other because I have fully taken advantage of their open door policy, I plan to continue that tradition.

7 comments:

lizzie said...

congratulations! what a beautiful home...and i, too, have some great memories there. i believe i even slept in the garage bedroom a time or two and i do remember the fabric! i want a room like that one day...floor to ceiling shelves filled with fabric. how fun for you!

mickey said...

CONGRATULATIONS ALYSSA! I am really happy for you! What an investment, and the view is breath taking. I would love to make a visit next summer if you're down there. Way to go!!! And what a blessing that your GRANDparents can stay living there. Once again congrats!

Beck said...

Oh, that's wonderful! What a beautiful house! Congratulations - and how nice that your grandparents can live there!

tiff said...

That is so great! Congratulations! Now you are finally qualified to adjust the temperature on the thermostat!

autumn said...

I find this terribly exciting as I spend quite a bit of time in St. George. Sean's parents live there. Now, I just might be able to find a friend so I can stop roaming the red hills by myself! Congratulations!

Ma said...

It seems that Grandpa told me the house was built a few years earlier than 1945 (pictures showing him in front of the house when it was being built confirm that). Also, the windowless room used to have a large window on the west side, but my mother wanted more storage space. I prefer the window.

Who Do You Think You Are said...

Alyssa, that is so great! Welcome to mortgage stress! I remember going there the summer that I met Matt. Wow! That was a long time ago! I am getting old.
I started a blogg. I don't know how to tell you how to get to it. I thought that maybe if I replied to one of your posts that it might link you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails