Sunday, August 12, 2007

more cupcakes. . .

I hosted a bridal shower this weekend and used it as an excuse to experiment with more cupcakes. This time I started with a basic white cake recipe that next time I make it I will substitute buttermilk and possibly some vinegar for the milk to make it more moist. I'm sure leaving them in the fridge overnight without their papers on was the main dryness culprit but no one complained and in fact most people raved. . . but I'm my worst critic.

Anyway, what inspired me was a ziplock bag full of berries in my freezer. I hadn't used them for smoothies and so I decided to try a berry coulis. It is actually quite simple, berries in a sauce pan, add water, orange zest and sugar and simmer.


After it turned syrupy, I poured it into the Cuisinart and smoothed out the berries. I did some sampling along the way and decided this concoction went really well with vanilla yogurt. It was like having homemade fruit on the bottom!


The next step was a bit trickier. I poured the coulis into a pastry bag with a tip I thought would be big enough to strain it out without any mess. . . first I peeled the papers away from the cupcake, then I made a small hole in the bottom and hollowed out a bit of the cupcake.
Then I filled the hole with the pastry bag which worked really well until a bit of fruit that survived the cuisinart jammed in the tip a few cupcakes into the process and no matter how many toothpicks I swirled around in there, I couldn't unclog it so I had to use a spoon for the rest (a bit messier but still worked).
I then plugged up the hole with the piece I removed. After last week's successful ganache experiment, I decided to use it again and this time the texture worked out much smoother - I think a lower cacao content was key but who knows.
Then, I whipped up some whipping cream until it was good and stiff and added some of the berry coulis which turned a beautiful lavender color - perfect for a bridal shower!I scooped the berry whipped cream onto the ganache topped cupcakes, added some fresh berries and shaved some chocolate on top. And voila!

Whipped Berry Ganache Coulis-Filled Cupcakes!
I need to work on the names of my creations. . .

7 comments:

tiff said...

H.O.L.Y. C.R.A.P. I.M. G.O.I.N.G. T.O. D.I.E. F.R.O.M. C.U.P.C.A.K.E. E.N.V.Y.

You know, I name stuff like this for a living. I'll work on a few ideas, but I think I'm going to have to taste one before I can do it justice. Right now, in light of the bridal shower theme, I'm thinking they should bear the name:

Your Honeymoon Is Going To Be A Major Disappointment After This Cupcake

Soul-Fusion said...

Tiff, if you haven't yet seen Waitress (the movie with Kerri Russel), you need to. This is how she names pies. Very inspiring. I'll try and send you an actual sample of my next concoction. . . as soon as I figure out how to mail cupcakes.

lizzie said...

yeah, i want one too!

Ma said...

You better not forget to send a cupcake my way. I gave you the basic recipes, so I deserve to taste your wonderful creations.

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

It should definitely have a sexy title with the word cream in it. That much I know. Or, "A lil' Something Something cupcakes" Or, "Feel like makin' love" cupcakes.

Blogger said...

There is shocking news in the sports betting industry.

It's been said that every bettor must watch this,

Watch this or stop betting on sports...

Sports Cash System - Advanced Sports Betting Software.

Related Posts with Thumbnails