Sunday, August 12, 2007

the bridal shower

Yesterday, Emily and I co-hosted a shower for Wendy (in the middle). It turned out better than I could have planned. Despite all the conflicts of August traveling and the call of the beach, a good number of women turned up. All the food worked out (even with a couple of experiments) and people lingered . . . the best compliment to a successful party. Some of the photos are below.I should have taken this photo later when all of the gifts were piled up around the sunflowers. . . but I forgot until the table was empty again and littered with emptied plates and cups.
Upon arrival, I greeted Wendy with a special mocktail concoction of limeade, ginger ale and a splash of pear and pineapple juices in a sugar rimmed glass garnished with a lime.
A few of the guests happily eating the Mexican feast of breakfast burritos, salad, fruit and lots of guacamole - Wendy's favorite!
We played one bridal shower game - the only one I actually like. I sent a list of questions to the groom in advance and we made Wendy guess his answers. For each answer she answered correctly, she was awarded a coupon written by the question reader. If her answer was wrong, the coupon went into Bryan's jar.
About half-way through the game, Bryan arrived early in a fluke of well-timed public transportation transfers. We pondered whether he should stay or go to the roof but ultimately let him join in and get a little embarrassed when he realized his well-thought out answers were being revealed to the whole room. But I think he actually enjoyed it. . . even the gift opening. I've been friends with him as long as I have been with Wendy - goes back to our days on the family home evening committee.
I had to give the bride-to-be something slinky. . . despite the averted gaze in the photo, I don't think Bryan was as uncomfortable as he looks in the photo. He thanked me later for my choice in gifts.
The happy couple with their first piece of china. . .
and fighting over the last cupcake. . . okay so not actually fighting. Bryan stole the last one just before leaving.

Oh and as for the cd, it was a big hit. Unfortunately, I couldn't import the actual cd cover (which looked great!) because it is some strange file type not recognized by bloggger but here is the final list of songs in their order on the cd. Thanks everyone for your input - I definitely could not have made it without your suggestions, let me know if you want a copy!

  • Easy Silence Dixie Chicks
  • Forever Ben Harper
  • The Luckiest Ben Folds
  • I Will Follow You Into The Dark Death Cab for Cutie
  • By Your Side Sade
  • Every Breath You Take The Police
  • Somebody Depeche Mode
  • Faithfully Journey
  • Think I'm In Love Beck
  • Better Together Jack Johnson
  • You Are The Sunshine Of My Life Stevie Wonder
  • You've Made Me So Very Happy Blood Sweat & Tears
  • A Love Song Loggins & Messina
  • Endless Love Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
  • The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face Roberta Flack
  • Your Song Elton John
  • Turn Me On Norah Jones
  • Gimme Some Luvin G. Love & Special Sauce
  • Let's Get It On Marvin Gaye
  • Do That to Me One More Time Captain & Tennille

3 comments:

lizzie said...

looks like great fun! and i would love a copy. thanks.

emily said...

ah, i see you used the luckiest. sadly you also used the crappy chicks (i know you had to)

and uh, that's a very sexy little number you've got on- trying to steal the groom????

michele said...

i agree with emily, that is a sexy little number you have on.

Related Posts with Thumbnails