Monday, August 13, 2007

breakfast burritos

okay I should go to bed but I have to post my breakfast burrito concoction (the final product is pictured above) because I enjoyed it so much. Oh and tell me if my cooking adventures are boring you. . .

I started with some olive oil, chopped onions, garlic, red peppers, a jalepeno pepper (didn't want to go overboard), chopped cilantro and a couple of serrano peppers in a frying pan and cooked them up until the onions were clear.

Then I added frozen hashbrowns - a delicacy I could never seem to find in local grocery stores. Seriously. Luckily, Freshdirect, my online grocery store carries them now which saves me a lot of time in baking and shredding potatoes (the alternative). Anyway, brown these up with the onion and pepper mix and add a bunch of salt and pepper. I wanted to add some chili pepper but refrained since I wasn't sure how powerful the peppers were and how mild people's taste buds might be.
Once browned, I spread the concoction in a casserole dish (although I really am reluctant to call this a casserole).
I whisked together about a dozen eggs and added a little El Pato sauce for a bit more kick - perhaps a couple of tablespoons worth? And poured this over the potatoes and peppers. The final addition was cheese - I covered the pan with a mix of shredded cheeses, then covered the pan with foil and put it in the fridge for an hour or so before baking at 375 for about 30-45 minutes, removing the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking.
Unfortunately, I neglected to photograph the final baked product (guests had already arrived) but once it was baked, I just cut it in rectangle shapes conducive for layering down the center of a tortilla and let guests add whatever condiments they chose from the array of peppers, cilantro, guacamole, sour cream, salsa and Mexican salad (which consists of a variety of beans, olives, tomatoes, cheese and avocado) with chips. Here's a glimpse at the buffet.
The final addition was some meat. I am not exactly a carnivore - more of a carbivore - but the great thing about online ordering with Freshdirect is they email you these great coupons for free things to get you hooked. It is the equivalent of a sample lady coming to your house with whole dinner's worth of samples. Fun, right? With this order I received free marinated skirt steak from Rosa Mexicano, a fantastic Mexican-esque local restaurant (I say "esque" because it is a bit too high end to be truly Mexican, i.e., stuffing their chili relleno with goat cheese!). I grilled this up easily in my griddler and sliced it into small strips that could be added to the salad and/or burritos.

4 comments:

Beck said...

Carbivore! Heh. That breakfast looks AMAZING. I have never seen frozen shredded hash browns here - I wonder if they're not commonly available in Canada?

Ma said...

You must have learned your love of entertaining and cooking from hanging out at Michele's house. Now you need to come home and make some of those yummy meals for us.

autumn said...

Carbivore is hilarious. That's exactly what I am. I love your cooking blogs, they inspire me to eat. The cupcakes also looked delicious. Yum!

emily said...

at night i dream about freshdirect.

order more and lovingly think of me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails