Sunday, June 24, 2007

For Autumn: Krazy Kake

I know Autumn is in search of tasty baked goods that don't require eggs, so here is my secret family recipe, no eggs, no butter, no shortening . . . who knew we had such a great vegan cake in our family repertoire. One thing I love about recipes is how the best ones get scrawled on odd scraps of paper and endure spills and carry small samples of flavoring to recommend themselves. If the physical recipe doesn't look a bit battered and well-used, you may want to try one that does. My copy of the Krazy Kake recipe is the one my mom wrote years and years ago when it was relayed to her on a long thin piece of manila card-stock. Some of the directions are smudged and you can even see some shorthand written in. After moving out on my own, I asked my mom for this recipe in person and she claimed to have another copy and she passed hers on to me. I love having it nestled in my blue 3-ring binder recipe book, stashed in a plastic page protector next to my chocolate chip cookie recipe, I carefully copied into my Franklin day planner when I moved out. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have (complete recipe appears at the end of the post).
Whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar and salt. I prefer to do this step in a mixing bowl but if you prefer to use fewer dishes, this step can be accomplished in the cake pan. Sprinkle in the baking soda and mix well.
Although it does not appear in the recipe, it is at this point that I like to experiment to "spice" the cake up a bit (hence the "Krazy Kake" title). In yesterday's version I added cinnamon, mace and crystallized ginger. I like to play with nutmeg and allspice as well. I wish I could give you some guidance in terms of measuring but I tend to just dump it in and taste test after the wet ingredients are added and add more if needed. If I want the cake to be a bit lighter I add 1 4 ounce package of chocolate pudding mix at this stage.
Pour the dry ingredients in to the baking pan (no spray needed!) and make three wells in the dry mix. Add oil - I use olive oil but vegetable oil works just as well.
Add the remaining wet ingredients - vanilla, vinegar and water - and stir with a wooden spoon. Sometimes as a variation I will add a cup or two of sour cream (only if I add the pudding and some chocolate chips, but only semi-sweet chocolate chips and this variation works better in a bundt pan).Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean.

Full recipe:
Combine:
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda

Make 3 wells in baking pan and add:
3/4 cup oil (I use olive oil but I used to use vegetable oil and it works as well)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. vinegar
2 cups water

Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees

This recipe works well as cupcakes too!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

tiff said...

Mmmm. This sounds so good, and I adore the picture of the old, stained recipe. Looks like my German Pancake recipe card. Thanks for sharing!

emily said...

thanks for the step by step photos!

Ma said...

Just wanted to let you know that the faded, stained recipe card written on an old "key punch" card is about 35 years old. I was so shocked to see that you had it and actually use that copy. It really made me laugh.

autumn said...

I am so excited to try it! I think I'll make it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. This just might the savior of many birthday parties to come. Thanks again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails