Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Jazz Win!!!

One of the worst things about living on the East Coast is how late sporting events run. Last night's game didn't start until nearly 11 pm and the game was so tight and exciting there was no way I could go to bed before it was over. Which means I was up until nearly 2 am. The game ended before that but I was so wound up I had to watch the post-game show and discuss the game with my parents.

I have to vent about how much I dislike TNT. Their camera work is irritating, sometimes they shrink the screen into a corner to show stats, at one point they showed Reggie Miller (who was one of the broadcasters) highlights and they didn't switch from the final minutes of the excrutiatingly boring Pistons Bulls game to show the Jazz tip off. What is worse, throughout the entire game the announcers would not stop fawning all over Golden State, especially Baron Davis and his stupid hamstring. If all you heard was their commentary during the fourth quarter, you would have thought the Jazz were hopelessly behind and didn't stand a chance to win. They didn't have much to say in the final minute when the Jazz put the Warriors away.

The one redeeming thing about TNT is Charles Barkley in the post-game show. I loved Charles Barkley when he was a 76er, a Sun and even as a Houston Rocket. He was always a tough match-up with Karl Malone and he always has something crazy to say. Last night he was the only one who believed in the Jazz and flat out said how great they are. At one point one analyst was saying "how would you describe this game" and Barkley cut in and said "Excitin'!" They ignored him. But he was the first to laude praise on the Jazz for their rebounds (afterall, he is the "Round Mound of Rebound") and Kirilenko (who was described in an article as a "6-9 pogo stick") for his 7 blocked shots. But the best line of the night by Sir Charles was just before a commercial break as I stood up to turn off my tv and go to bed. The other analyst was explaining they would show highlights from the Pistons Bulls match-up after the break and Barkley started whining about having sat through that already and after someone told him it was for the viewer's at home, he said "they don't want to see that lame-ass game either." I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for telling it like it is Charles.

5 comments:

lizzie said...

okay. so i have to admit i have been excited. yesterday i was anticipating the game all day. katie called about 4 pm and asked if i could babysit because she got tickets for the game! lucky! i said sure. i thought that i would get all the kids down so that i could watch from the beginning (her kiddies got to bed early). so i did. i turned on kjazz and guess what was on--dr. phil!!! i didn't realize it was only on tnt. blast! so i watched the bachelor anticipating the 10 o'clock news to get the score. i called shawn and he wasn't even paying attention at all. finally, i went upstairs and tuned into the radio. hot rod was very negative (sounds like he was the same as the tnt announcers--very gloom and doom). i listened to the last 6 minutes or so. holy crap! i was so excited--all by myself. i had to control myself so i didn't wake the baby!

katie said...

I LOVE Charles Barkley. How do you think Karl Malone will react if the Jazz actually pull off a championship? This place will go nuts! The game last night was FABULOUS! It's like a cult in the Delta Center. People were chanting out in the halls after the game, and all around the streets of the D.C. It really is exciting.

Soul-Fusion said...

Katie, you just gave me goose bumps. I cannot tell you how jealous I am that you went to the game! The Jazz playoffs are probably my absolute favorite thing! Because I am ultra-superstitious when it comes to the Jazz I am trying to only think of this as one game at a time (a la our fearless leader Sloan) but I can't help but hope we make it to the next round so I can have a chance to go to a game since I will be in SLC over Memorial Weekend.
And Liz, if you are ever watching the game alone or need an update - you should know by now that you can ALWAYS call me!! I will add you to my texting list - I send comments to family members throughout the game :)

michele said...

ok so i didn't realize the game was on yesterday until i read your blog. we wen't to find it on kjzz, but like liz, we were disappointed to find it wasn't on. so we had to listen to the static-y radio. but it was an exciting game, and i usually don't care too much about basketball, or football or ...

tiff said...

I get many a good chuckle out of Sir Chuckles. He is hilarious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails