Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I am not an event planner

I am a lawyer. However, I was selected by my boss to plan with another associate in my firm's DC office a retreat for our group in Orlando, Florida. The retreat is next week. This thing has nearly consumed my life. I have spent no less than 5 hours on this thing today alone and I am currently procrastinating more work I need to do on this retreat. Not only do we have to create an agenda, coordinate speakers, breaks, rooms, the seating in the rooms, lunches, dinners, breakfasts, cocktail parties and computers for the poor people who drag their work with them. But we are also tasked with the "corporate giveaway" - unfortunately my ipod nano suggestion was shot down. Doesn't sound too complicated until you get into the logistics of figuring out shirt sizes for 30+ people and requesting that the shirts not be pulled out of a cardboard box. Then there are details such as name tags not to be confused with name cards (that sit at each persons seat) oh and then we will have to creating seating charts for dinner and lunches! I even had to specifically request that the tables in our conference room have linen not plastic table clothes and was scorned for even suggesting the Ritz would have plastic! Of course we also have to plan the "fun activities" such as "wacky golf" for integration and a surprise birthday party for one of the partners. Oh and let's not forget the getting to know you game I was put in charge for which I dipped into my "mormon singles ward" activities bin and pulled out the questionnaire of find someone who has . . . and people have to obtain signatures of the person whose child's name is Mary or whatever. Speaking of which I have to circulate the questionnaire tonight so I have some answers to create the game!! Honestly, I think I was truly meant to be a lawyer and not an event planner. Especially when our event planner refuses to be specific and makes me micro manage (I promise it isn't just because I want to).

2 comments:

tiff said...

I must be a would-be event planner, because all of that sounds REALLY FUN!!!! Ask your firm to hire me. I make the cutest place cards...

Soul-Fusion said...

it would be fun if i wasn't expected to continue my usual lawyer job simultaneously!

Related Posts with Thumbnails