Saturday, January 07, 2006

Proposition

Monday I received an email with a "proposition" - I provide the tv and the sender (a boy) would bring the pizza and we could watch the Rose Bowl together. Fun. Initially, I wasn't sure whether it would be a date and I debated it for the two days leading up. I also debated whether I would want it to be a date. Nice, cute boy, why wouldn't I want to date him? Because I immediately compare him to all the best things about prior boyfriends and how he doesn't have any of the qualities I think are necessary. What is wrong with me? Is this what happens when you have months and months separating dates? You rule the guy out before the date actually materializes?

So the Rose Bowl arrived. He came over with a pizza the size of a bicycle tire (we learned that in NYC "large" is bigger than "family size"). I immediately knew from the semi-awkwardness of the first 10-15 minutes he was in my apartment that it must be a date. The game didn't end until around 1am and I must say I had a great time and was happy to receive a hug at the end . . . a good hug - the kind that feels meaningful, not the distant kind where you are actually standing 2-3 feet apart and only touching shoulders and your arms are in awkward places and there is patting involved, that's a bad hug. This one was nice.

So I went to bed thinking I should not judge dating potential based on early, unknown factors. The next morning I sent him an email thanking him for the massive pizza and throwing in a "we should do it again sometime" type statement. Two days later and I haven't heard a word.

I officially do not understand dating.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails